User Reviews for Acamprosate

Also known as: Campral

Learn more about Acamprosate.

Acamprosate Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 10 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Reviews for Acamprosate to treat Alcohol Dependence

Campral (acamprosate): "I have been on Campral about 10 days and this drug does work..really work..zero cravings. I was drinking a liter of Vodka a day. I was in rehabs from August 2015 to February 2016 (and relapsed when I got out) and not one of the psychiatrist at the rehabs mentioned Campral.The reason they don't is because they know it works and just want to take your money to pay for the rehab because if you don't they are out of a job. Save your money on rehabs and ask your doc for Campral instead. I am 43 years old and have been an alcoholic a majority of my adult life. I feel like I have my life back and everyone sees a change in me and best of all I do too! The only thing I don't like is that I didn't know about this drug years ago,but glad i do now."

Sonja 2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

Campral (acamprosate): "I have been a heavy drinker for over 20 years (usually strong cider abv 7.5%) and at times was getting through up to 90 units a day (around 12 litres). I had a seizure in 2013 for which I was in hospital for 8 days detox. I was prescribed Librium and was abstinent for 6 months. The doctor took me off Librium after that 6 months and put me on Campral. Unfortunately it didn't do any good and I started drinking almost immediately. Now, 3 years later, and still have alcohol issues. I have been hospitalised 3 times in the last 4 months. It has been suggested that I take Antabuse or Naltrexone. Has anyone else had similar issues?"

Sean D March 31, 2016

Campral (acamprosate): "Have been on campral for a month now. Was a beer and wine drinker averaging 9-10 standard drinks daily for 45 years but had an unrelated condition and although not pushed in any way by my doctor, wanted to cut down usual alcohol intake be to see if there was any difference. Campral virtually stopped drinking desire straight away but made no difference to other condition so grog not the problem for latter. However am still on campral and it seems the longer you're on it the greater the positive effect it has. Can now have 3-4 stubbies slowly then just lose interest. Can take it or leave now but good thing was that 3-4 stubbies (normal strength) are still enjoyable but that's it - no more and had -enough. Very happy and no side effects"

Youngone2 December 26, 2015

"35 years old...1 week in...I'm not experiencing the fatigue and nausea associated w/ naltrexone. No desire to drink--I feel like something is wrong. I wish I was prescribed this ten years ago."

Tim H. (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I was prescribed campral after almost dying from drinking a liter of vodka a day every day and being hospitalized. It worked miracles! Made me look at alcohol like something I wouldn't want to eat..%u2026I thought I was cured so I stopped. But it's a lifetime drug. I was sober for two years , then had a normal life, and start celebrating Halloween drank a few beers..that turned into liters , and I was back in the hospital,, worse this time, now I've had jaundice for over a month, feeling better...leg muscles are deteriorated from being in the hospital and needing rest for so long. I got very lucky!!!! So if you take campral, keep. Taking it it takes time to get into your system to work give it a month or two. "

Alicelove (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 3, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "From the first day I took Campral I started to forget about drinking. It's now been a week and I've lost all desire. Just looking at alcohol or people drinking it is a complete turn off. I was drinking 1-2 bottles of red wine every night and i've seen been a huge turn around in my mood (and life) since taking Campral in a very short time. I did a lot of reading about the drug including reading comments in this forum before starting it and it really does work well. If you need some time to press the pause button this will help give you some strength and clarity to get on with life."

Pup2015 October 30, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate): "Well after 64 days sober, I had a relapse. Really wasnt proud of myself, now been on campral a few days and so far so good. I found vthis excellent in my 64 day sobriety so I know it works for me. Now to stick to it and sort out my anxiety which triggers my drink binges. Fingers crossed guys and good luck to all of you trying to stick to sobriety."

haylesmcl (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2015

"I am sorry to say that this did not work for me. I was so desperate that I got a prescription for antabuse. Now that baby works. Believe you and me if you consume alcohol on this, you will never again do it. But this tablet is not for the fainthearted! Read about on it. I wish everyone luck on this forum but unfortunately campral did not work for me but there are plenty of people it does help so don't feel disheartened on just my review.xx "

Euch October 12, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "On September 6th, 2015 I have been sober for one year. I could not have accomplished this without Campral. My GP, who is an American, is very surprised to find it not more widely in use in Canada. It has saved my life - which I have stated in my previous two reports. I am now taking Campral every one other day - one tablet in the morning - and will, with the support of my GP, continue doing that for about 3 months. I want to be sure that I have no temptation to take a drink. I know that there are others who have had dependency issues who feel that they can return to "controlled drinking", but that is not for me. I know full well that one SIP of wine will take me back to where I was. I will not tempt myself and breach my success!"

BBYITSU (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 1, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate): "I have drank 3 bottles of wine a night for a long time gained 3 stone and decided I need to quit drinking get fit and loose weight. Nothing works better than this tablet I don't even want a drink it's amazing"

Dry and happy now (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate): "I had been to many rehabs, tried the whole AA thing. Nothing worked. I was drinking a slab of beer per day 4 many years b4 i realised that I need to do something... I was running a successful 300k p/y company but was so busy that I just never had the time to either cut back nor stop drinking.. I made the extreme decision to quit my business and take time off so that I could concentrate on quitting. I just went to my gp and told him my situation, I requested Campral . I stayed on it for 8months 6 tablets per day and never drank once. That was 3 years ago now I now have social drinks without any issues. AA isn't for everyone and don't be daunted by the fact you will never drink again :) Controlled drinking does work if you make it work."

Jake7676 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate): "This drug works! This is going to sound hard to believe but from the first dose of this medicine I have not had a single craving for alcohol. I have been drinking for some 40 years and heavily for the last 10. Needless to say, I was completely shocked at the results. That said, the side effects have been a little tough. I'm only a week in but the diarrhea has been an issue for about an hour after each dosage. I am hoping that will end in the next day or so."

John_Midtown June 24, 2015

"I started this April 2015. I have not even had an urge to drink at all in these past months. No noticeable side effects."

Mrs. MEDINA June 22, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "Only one week in and this is the first time in over 20 year's that I haven't had a drink, surprisingly feeling positive but now aware of why I was drinking. Time to put rest of my life in order and this is the first time it's felt possible. If your sat reading thinking could it work then I would definitely give it a try, I feel like I'm getting my life back. Just hoping this is long term."

sober Dave (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate): "So far, so good. I have been in and out of the program (s), detox & several 28-45 day programs. Since taking this med, I have had ZERO cravings for alcohol. I'm actually amazed and pray that this continues to work. I recommend it to any alcoholic."

TiffyWoods (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I am on day 5 of Campral. The first day I took it, it was like the depressed empty void inside of me (which I now know to be alcohol withdrawal), was filled and I felt whole again. Now, day 5, I feel even better. It's like a dream to be free of cravings and withdrawal, I spent so many years drinking and now I have my life back. It's opened my eyes to what it is to feel normal. No side effects, and I'm on four tablets a day. I tried Aa/Na for 2 years but couldn't stay sober longer than 8 months. Finally I have some peace of mind, no cravings at all, and I'm functioning like a normal person. Thank you doc."

New eyes nicole (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate): "I wrote my first report in Mid-October of 2014. I have not had any alcohol at all since that post, have reduced my dosage to 1 pill first thing in the morning. I am a very social person, and entertained a great deal. I was very very worried that I would relapse if faced with the availability of alcohol. I have sailed through all my seasonal parties, early spring get togethers and weekly "wings and beer" with friends with not one slip. My husband and daughter are huge supporters. As I write this, I have various wines and liquors in my cabinet - serve to guests - and have no interest at all in consuming booze in any form. Again, I state that Campral saved my life."

BBYITSU (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate): "I have been in two 28 day in patient programs within the past 20 months. And tried the whole meetings thing. I'm not saying those things are not wonderful tools, but still after that I found myself back in the same boat. Drunk. My Dr. Prescribed me campral and I bit the bullet and self detoxed one long weekend. The following Tuesday I started taking the campral and since then I haven't had the first craving. I do stay away from old drinking buddies, and certain situations that might be triggers but it's been a month. And for me that is huge. I am a much better person without alcohol. And this pill has most definitely helped me out alot."

NOTdrunkDAVE (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Hi I had an dependence on alcohol for 15-10 years. I wasn't a real heavy drinker, but I drank 3 strong beers per day. Around 5 years ago it started to get to a stage were I went to work drunk, started early in the morning. I felt so ill. Went to my Dr who got me in touch with a local rehab daily centre. Went every week for a year. I had to fight to get camprol as they wouldn't prescribe it cause all my blood and liver came back quite good, which was a surprise. I started taking it, been taking it for over a year. It has totally changed my life. I feel new again. My family my life is back. I've lost 3 stone. Got new job. only side affects I get are a bit of nausea and light headedness. I can live with that. Try it"

higham April 15, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I am ten years sober now and I also took Campral when I hit bottom and started my recovery. I took Campral in conjunction with a program of sobriety, AA. I believe Campral helped me with my uphill battle when I started. I had been drinking regularly for over 30 years."

Rick B April 9, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "Works well."

campralkitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I am now on day 5 of Acamprosate, First two days I felt amazing. especially on the first day taking the tablets gave me such a hyper rush. same on the second day and I had no cravings whatsoever, even sat with my flatmates who were drinking and had no desire to drink at all I was elated. Until it came to the 3rd day and I spent half the day itching for a drink until I got home, ate lots of junk food and had my tablets- then I felt fine again. But on the 4th day no amount of junk food, squash, taking my tablets... I itched for a drink up until I fell asleep. Has anyone else experienced this? I notice about 5min after I take the tablet I feel really high and hyper, it then wears off until I take my next dosage again."

Laura Makingtea (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

"My husband had been an alcoholic for as long as he can remember. He has completed and failed rehab 5 times over the years. He lost many years with his children due to this problem. His youngest is 11 and has been seeing him in a supervised visit 2 hours a week for over 7 years. Thanks to campral he had lost the craving for alcohol. Because of this medication he is able to enjoy life instead of stumbling his way into another blackout. He has always said if they ever make a pill to stop drinking he would take it. We are now on the road to getting shared custody with his son. We thank the Lord above and the creator of campral every day for this incredible pill."

nanabear to 8 February 22, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I was a heavy drinker for 35 years. I relapsed 2 years ago after more than 12 years of sobriety. My doctor gave me Campral. I was amazed, I had no desire for a drink, ZERO desire. I did have severe diarrhea, the drug was doing so well that I tried to tough it out, hoping my body would adjust. It didn't and reluctantly I was forced to stop. after 2 weeks without a drink I started again. Just got Naltrexone today. I hope it works as well without the side effects."

JMJ49 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I was a binge drinker and finished a bottle of Scotch every second night so when it started to be nearly every night I went to my doctor and he prescribed me Campral, never had any cravings and could be around anyone who was drinking and it wouldn't bother me, its now been 2 1/2 years since I had a drink! I only took it for 6 months and stopped taking it because the chemist couldn't get it but I already knew I was fine by then. In Australia it only cost $6 per script....saved me a fortune. "

1bossco (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2015