User Reviews for Acamprosate

Also known as: Campral

Learn more about Acamprosate.

Acamprosate Review Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Reviews for Acamprosate to treat Alcohol Dependence

Campral (acamprosate): "On September 6th, 2015 I have been sober for one year. I could not have accomplished this without Campral. My GP, who is an American, is very surprised to find it not more widely in use in Canada. It has saved my life - which I have stated in my previous two reports. I am now taking Campral every one other day - one tablet in the morning - and will, with the support of my GP, continue doing that for about 3 months. I want to be sure that I have no temptation to take a drink. I know that there are others who have had dependency issues who feel that they can return to "controlled drinking", but that is not for me. I know full well that one SIP of wine will take me back to where I was. I will not tempt myself and breach my success!"

BBYITSU (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 1, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I have drank 3 bottles of wine a night for a long time gained 3 stone and decided I need to quit drinking get fit and loose weight. Nothing works better than this tablet I don't even want a drink it's amazing"

Dry and happy now (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I had been to many rehabs, tried the whole AA thing. Nothing worked. I was drinking a slab of beer per day 4 many years b4 i realised that I need to do something... I was running a successful 300k p/y company but was so busy that I just never had the time to either cut back nor stop drinking.. I made the extreme decision to quit my business and take time off so that I could concentrate on quitting. I just went to my gp and told him my situation, I requested Campral . I stayed on it for 8months 6 tablets per day and never drank once. That was 3 years ago now I now have social drinks without any issues. AA isn't for everyone and don't be daunted by the fact you will never drink again :) Controlled drinking does work if you make it work."

Jake7676 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "This drug works! This is going to sound hard to believe but from the first dose of this medicine I have not had a single craving for alcohol. I have been drinking for some 40 years and heavily for the last 10. Needless to say, I was completely shocked at the results. That said, the side effects have been a little tough. I'm only a week in but the diarrhea has been an issue for about an hour after each dosage. I am hoping that will end in the next day or so."

John_Midtown June 24, 2015

"I started this April 2015. I have not even had an urge to drink at all in these past months. No noticeable side effects."

Mrs. MEDINA June 22, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "Only one week in and this is the first time in over 20 year's that I haven't had a drink, surprisingly feeling positive but now aware of why I was drinking. Time to put rest of my life in order and this is the first time it's felt possible. If your sat reading thinking could it work then I would definitely give it a try, I feel like I'm getting my life back. Just hoping this is long term."

sober Dave (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "So far, so good. I have been in and out of the program (s), detox & several 28-45 day programs. Since taking this med, I have had ZERO cravings for alcohol. I'm actually amazed and pray that this continues to work. I recommend it to any alcoholic."

TiffyWoods (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I am on day 5 of Campral. The first day I took it, it was like the depressed empty void inside of me (which I now know to be alcohol withdrawal), was filled and I felt whole again. Now, day 5, I feel even better. It's like a dream to be free of cravings and withdrawal, I spent so many years drinking and now I have my life back. It's opened my eyes to what it is to feel normal. No side effects, and I'm on four tablets a day. I tried Aa/Na for 2 years but couldn't stay sober longer than 8 months. Finally I have some peace of mind, no cravings at all, and I'm functioning like a normal person. Thank you doc."

New eyes nicole (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I wrote my first report in Mid-October of 2014. I have not had any alcohol at all since that post, have reduced my dosage to 1 pill first thing in the morning. I am a very social person, and entertained a great deal. I was very very worried that I would relapse if faced with the availability of alcohol. I have sailed through all my seasonal parties, early spring get togethers and weekly "wings and beer" with friends with not one slip. My husband and daughter are huge supporters. As I write this, I have various wines and liquors in my cabinet - serve to guests - and have no interest at all in consuming booze in any form. Again, I state that Campral saved my life."

BBYITSU (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I have been in two 28 day in patient programs within the past 20 months. And tried the whole meetings thing. I'm not saying those things are not wonderful tools, but still after that I found myself back in the same boat. Drunk. My Dr. Prescribed me campral and I bit the bullet and self detoxed one long weekend. The following Tuesday I started taking the campral and since then I haven't had the first craving. I do stay away from old drinking buddies, and certain situations that might be triggers but it's been a month. And for me that is huge. I am a much better person without alcohol. And this pill has most definitely helped me out alot."

NOTdrunkDAVE (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2015

"Hi I had an dependence on alcohol for 15-10 years. I wasn't a real heavy drinker, but I drank 3 strong beers per day. Around 5 years ago it started to get to a stage were I went to work drunk, started early in the morning. I felt so ill. Went to my Dr who got me in touch with a local rehab daily centre. Went every week for a year. I had to fight to get camprol as they wouldn't prescribe it cause all my blood and liver came back quite good, which was a surprise. I started taking it, been taking it for over a year. It has totally changed my life. I feel new again. My family my life is back. I've lost 3 stone. Got new job. only side affects I get are a bit of nausea and light headedness. I can live with that. Try it"

higham April 15, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I am ten years sober now and I also took Campral when I hit bottom and started my recovery. I took Campral in conjunction with a program of sobriety, AA. I believe Campral helped me with my uphill battle when I started. I had been drinking regularly for over 30 years."

Rick B April 9, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "Works well."

campralkitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I am now on day 5 of Acamprosate, First two days I felt amazing. especially on the first day taking the tablets gave me such a hyper rush. same on the second day and I had no cravings whatsoever, even sat with my flatmates who were drinking and had no desire to drink at all I was elated. Until it came to the 3rd day and I spent half the day itching for a drink until I got home, ate lots of junk food and had my tablets- then I felt fine again. But on the 4th day no amount of junk food, squash, taking my tablets... I itched for a drink up until I fell asleep. Has anyone else experienced this? I notice about 5min after I take the tablet I feel really high and hyper, it then wears off until I take my next dosage again."

Laura Makingtea (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

"My husband had been an alcoholic for as long as he can remember. He has completed and failed rehab 5 times over the years. He lost many years with his children due to this problem. His youngest is 11 and has been seeing him in a supervised visit 2 hours a week for over 7 years. Thanks to campral he had lost the craving for alcohol. Because of this medication he is able to enjoy life instead of stumbling his way into another blackout. He has always said if they ever make a pill to stop drinking he would take it. We are now on the road to getting shared custody with his son. We thank the Lord above and the creator of campral every day for this incredible pill."

nanabear to 8 February 22, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I was a heavy drinker for 35 years. I relapsed 2 years ago after more than 12 years of sobriety. My doctor gave me Campral. I was amazed, I had no desire for a drink, ZERO desire. I did have severe diarrhea, the drug was doing so well that I tried to tough it out, hoping my body would adjust. It didn't and reluctantly I was forced to stop. after 2 weeks without a drink I started again. Just got Naltrexone today. I hope it works as well without the side effects."

JMJ49 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

Campral (acamprosate): "I was a binge drinker and finished a bottle of Scotch every second night so when it started to be nearly every night I went to my doctor and he prescribed me Campral, never had any cravings and could be around anyone who was drinking and it wouldn't bother me, its now been 2 1/2 years since I had a drink! I only took it for 6 months and stopped taking it because the chemist couldn't get it but I already knew I was fine by then. In Australia it only cost $6 per script....saved me a fortune. "

1bossco (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2015

"Chronic binger for 37 years. Cramps and diarrhoea for a week. Neither anywhere near as bad as after 5 or 6 litres of vodka. For the first time in my adult life I don't want a drink as opposed to wanting not to drink. Difference is the complete absence of underlying anxiety. It's gone. Feels as if I have joined up thinking again. I think I'll keep taking the tablets."

blaki (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2014

"Excellent medication, been heavy drinker for 7 years, spiralled out of control in past few months, been on Campral for two weeks, still have occasional cravings, but easily controlled. Would recommend."

Mx1 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2014

Campral (acamprosate): "Having been a serious and functioning alcoholic for many years I finally hit rock bottom both health wise, and family wise, I ruptured blood vessels in my throat and almost drowned in my own blood, this was due to the amount of alcohol I was drinking.... the doctors told my wife I would not make it through the weekend.. I pulled through, I called my Dr to see if there was anything to kill the cravings. Campral was prescribed. I have been clean almost a month now. No cravings. For the first time I have my life back. More people need to be informed of this medication. If you are questioning yourself... give it a try. I did! It truly has saved my life and my marriage. I hope this helps someone. Good luck."

Chris santell (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2014

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Campral (acamprosate): "I've been in and out of rehabs, AA/NA you name it. This medicine finally has taken my cravings away. If the rooms aren't working for you try Campral along with whatever else you can if you have to."

Anonymous November 11, 2014

Campral (acamprosate): "This medicine has curbed my cravings for vodka. Sober for 36 days with little or no cravings!"

dji November 4, 2014

Campral (acamprosate): "after spending 4 days in a mental hospital for alcohol detox I was put on campral i was a 2 liter of rum a day DRUNK now after 5 days without a drop I feel GREAT!! I cannot stress the benefits I have and continue to receive my medicare\medicaid is even paying for it"

whittlowe (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2014

Campral (acamprosate): "Campral has saved my life. I was not able to stop drinking without it. My female GP was very understanding and supportive and sought out the best treatment for me. I am so very thankful. I am - in a short period of time - a new person. I have been alcohol dependent for over 20 years. What I fail to understand is why more people are not lucky enough to have this medicine prescribed for them. I have had no adverse side effects at all. Although my prescription is covered by my insuring company, I would have gladly paid the price for the treatment."

BBYITSU (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2014

Campral (acamprosate): "I have been in/out of rehab since 2011. Just in the past 12 months I have relapsed back to drinking 5x. I've done Antabuse and naltrexone and they did nothing. For the past 6 days I've been taking Campral 2 tabs, 3x a day. I HAVE NO CRAVINGS WHATSOEVER! I really wish someone would have told me about this in 2011! Good Luck from one addict to another."

Crab Cake October 10, 2014

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next