User Reviews for Campral

Learn more about Campral.

Alcohol Dependence 74 reviews 7 medications

8.8
Summary of Campral reviews 74 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Campral

Review by Bubba2133:

For Alcohol Dependence: Campral works very soon after taking it, and really cuts down on the withdrawql and cravings associated with quitting alcohol. However, as a man, I noticed immediate sexual side effects including lack of interest and difficulty reaching orgasm. I also noticed weight gain, when I normally experience weight loss when quitting drinking. Its almost the perfect medicine besides the side effects.

December 18, 2011 11:42 AM

Review by Scott__:

For Alcohol Dependence: Unbeliveable. I have been in and out of AA for over 12 years. My doctor gave me Campral to try and it has had a huge impact immediately. That driving force in my head that used to take me to get a drink is gone. I spoke to my doctor today and asked if this was normal or was I imagining or talking myself into thinking it works and was told nope that's normal. It seems to work right away. So I went on line to read reviews and I am having the same experience, that inner voice driving me to drink is gone and when I try to think about getting a drink it seems like my brain is blocking that thought from going forward. Try it, you got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2011 1:07 PM

Review by Glad to be ALIVE:

For Alcohol Dependence: I was a very heavy drinker for over 20 years, drinking over a fifth a day. I read a book called the alcohol and addiction cure given to me by my father. I then started seeing a psychologist for several months before entering detox for 4 days. When I left they gave me a prescription for Campral. I did not enter a program. I did go to AA meetings quite a bit for about a year and still go occasionally although I never went through the steps. I took the Campral for about 6 or 7 months. I believe it helped, but I think it was everything combined that helped me. I have been sober since July 11,2009. Good luck.

December 5, 2011 4:15 PM

Review by Heather Amanda:

For Alcohol Dependence: My boyfriend is an alcoholic. He has been to treatment multiple times. He has suffered innumerable consequences. For the last year I have been on the roller coaster of trying to find a way to be understanding and so on. It's been so, so, so hard. For the past month he has been taking this and so far it's been amazing! No drinking. He says his cravings are drastically reduced. His libido has taken a hit, but I'll take that over living with an active alcoholic any day.

November 25, 2011 1:21 AM

Review by Beer Hater:

For Alcohol Dependence: My husband was prescribed Campral about a month ago. The first day he had the prescription in his pocket he got trashed. Didn't even want to get the prescription filled. Said he was having "one last fling". When he takes the medicine, it seems to work, but he just doesn't take it most of the time. Since getting the prescription filled 10/28/11 he has had two major relapses. I think this medicine is great, but it won't work if the person won't take it! He needs this medication in a shot or something that he can't just "not take" if he wants to drink. Our family had high hopes that this would be the answer to our prayers- very disappointed in him.

November 17, 2011 8:54 AM

Review by trying2changein2011:

For Alcohol Dependence: This medicine is a miracle. I am a daily pint a day, 100proof vodka drinker and this has helped me control my urges. A must try for someone with drinking problems.

November 16, 2011 1:07 AM

For Alcohol Dependence: I've been on Campral for one month today and it has been great! No cravings for alcohol! It also takes the edge off and really seems to lift my mood tremendously. I feel balanced and in control of my life again. No bad side effects at all. AA, my higher power and Campral have given me my life back and it is getting better every day! Give it a try. I'm so glad I did!

September 26, 2011 4:50 PM

Review by Bigbookthumper:

For Alcohol Dependence: Sober a year 8-25-11. God, AA and Campral have worked. No cravings I couldn't handle. Together all have helped me have a new lease on life. Feel better, work has improved. Highly recommend this medicine if you want to quit drinking.

September 3, 2011 1:06 PM

Review by Mumfuzz:

For Alcohol Dependence: I just want to say thank you to anyone who was involved in making this medicine possible. I started taking this medicine to stop drinking and it has worked a treat. As an added bonus it has also aloud me to stop smoking as drinking was my trigger for having a puff. I have nothing but praise for this wonderful aid. I feel reset, like I am kid again and I am 48 years old.

July 10, 2011 11:57 PM

Review by thejazzyone:

For Alcohol Dependence: I fell into drinking heavily after receiving gastric bypass surgery, I guess since I wasn't able to use my drug of choice (food), I began to drank heavily. At first vodka and tequila, then two to three bottles of wine every night after work. I started on Campral 4 months and 3 days ago, and I am back to the old me. I feel great. I still think about it from time to time, but it doesn't last. I have been to parties of all kinds where everyone is drinking and it does not bother me one bit. I wonder why it's not advertised that much. This medication is a GREAT. Thank goodness.

June 11, 2011 3:30 AM

Review by want2live2:

For Alcohol Dependence: Its only been 18 hours since my first pill. I've been drinking close to 2 liters of rum in 3 days for years. Talking to a friend who knows my condition I informed him I was going to start right then and there. I threw out the rest of what I was drinking, ate and fell asleep. I would always wake up sick and of course to make myself feel calmer I would drink. NOT TODAY. Soon I will reach 24hours. PRAY FOR ME!

June 4, 2011 11:19 AM

For Alcohol Dependence: I have been drinking heavily (daily) for the past 20 years. When my family gave me the choice to drink and leave or stay home and be sober, I threw in the towel and sought help. My physician has me on 333mg three times a day and I am receiving regular counseling from my therapist. The first several days of treatment had my head feel like it was melting (after sobering, which was a three days). Since then, no cravings for alcohol. Tried a sip of scotch after the first week and threw the rest of the glass away, tasted like crap. Been under this treatment for two weeks now and I am in heaven.

April 13, 2011 3:07 AM

Review by cheersrichard:

For Alcohol Dependence: I have been on Campral for over a year now and wish that it worked for me as well as it has for others. Unfortunately I still want to drink every day and did so daily for at least four months on the medication.

February 1, 2011 7:51 AM

Review by Pam512:

For Alcohol Dependence: I've been drinking for most my life. I was letting beer control my life. I went to the ER just before Thanksgiving. My level was 3 times the legal amount. I went to detox the next day. I've been taking Campral ever since. I relapsed last week when I ran out of it. I'm back to taking it. I believe it is helping my craving. I really wanted a beer today though. However, I was able to get past the urge and not stop for one. I would have never been able to do that if I wasn't taking Campral. I'm surprised at the result. I wonder why it's not advertised. They should promote it at AA meetings.

January 17, 2011 9:48 PM

Review by plugbeano:

For Alcohol Dependence: I had been a bad binge drinker for the last nine years. Going on benders ranging from 5 days to at worse 2 and a half weeks. I could remain abstinent for anything from 1 month to 8 months but always relapsed eventually. 4 hospital detoxes, countless home ones and very ill heavy drinking. Had a warning that my liver had early stage of chirrosiss so that scared me enough to try Campral. 6 a day, been on it a month now complete abstinence and generally feel, marvelous with no cravings or thoughts. So far so good. I'm sleeping great and feel calm and more balanced.

October 25, 2010 4:23 PM

Review by Highplainsdrifter:

For Alcohol Dependence: Up until 6/20/10 I had slammed 12 beers a night for the past 20 years, and never managed to abstain for more than about a week during that time. I've been on Campral for three months now, and mostly AF. It works if you let it. If you drink over it, it will stop working and the next few days you will crave. But that said, better a 5-day relapse than a 15-year relapse - and I think Campral has helped make that possible. It's not a magic bullet. It does, however, silence the hampster cage a little bit.

September 19, 2010 10:19 PM

Review by corpuschris:

For Alcohol Dependence: I have been on Campral for only five days now. Previous drinking was about 3 cases of beer a week and two of those being on the weekend. Past weekend - as everyone else here has reported - no cravings for beer. Usually, if I was trying to not drink on the weekends, the craving would be persistent about every two minutes. It just didn't have the appeal. Really weird but it seems to be working. Also, not centering the day around being able to drive, and I know a DUI was getting very close. That is what scared me into doing something and I am glad for doing so. The cost savings of an estimated 300 dollars per month is already felt. So went shopping since I could drive and had extra money. Small reward.

August 25, 2010 3:04 PM

Review by fjsober:

For Alcohol Dependence: I just started using Campral only two days ago and have noticed an immediate change--no urge or desire to drink. Is this possible or am I that desperate for the "silver bullet"? I've managed a few months of sobriety before relapsing. Even when not drinking, there was always that constant urge/desire. Just about all the reviews have described an almost miraculous change in behavior. I can only hope.

August 23, 2010 1:53 PM

For Alcohol Dependence: I have been on Campral for about 3 1/2 months. I went to detox and was prescribed it there. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have zero side effects and I have not touched alcohol since I went to detox. I have zero craving and I have my life back. I was so sick when I finally got help, that feeling good again makes me smile every single day. I have now cut down my dosage to only 2 times a day and I am still free of any craving. Like others have said, I don't know what it does, but instead of struggling every day not to drink, I have zero cravings to ever drink again!

August 22, 2010 10:16 PM

Review by Scalerlimekilm:

For Alcohol Dependence: Campral will make a person to quit smoking. It made me quit after 33 years. Tell the world CAMPRAL is also a non-smoking pill.

August 22, 2010 12:53 PM

Review by wish you all luck!:

For Alcohol Dependence: My partner has been on Campral for the past 2 weeks, 6 tablets a day (doctors orders) and I don't even recognize him! After 24 years of drinking everyday he hasn't had a drink since he started (That I know off) but he is really trying. I see how hard it is and I am just seeing it from an outsiders view. I don't feel the pain. But alcohol doesn't just affect the person drinking. Everyone around you is affected and you don't realize what it does to your family, friends and the things you have lost! But I would like to wish everyone luck and congratulated all those who haven't had a drink or have seriously cut down! I know it has saved my partners life.

July 15, 2010 1:02 AM

Review by iowarailroader:

For Alcohol Dependence: Been on it for 3 days. Want a drink but not as bad as usual...drank 12 pack a day. Been drinking for almost 40 yrs.

July 9, 2010 2:55 AM

Review by Piper1972:

For Alcohol Dependence: I must agree HUGELY with the above comments who have praise for Campral. I feel like it has made the hugest difference in my attempts to stop drinking. I have many many attempts to quit (some genuine- some only half-hearted). This time has been my most sincere attempt. I take three Campral doses daily (2 at 333mg each) and have slowly noticed my cravings for alcohol go down. I''m sad to say that I have still had between 2-3 drinks per day since "quitting" (and starting Campral)- but compared to the 15-20 cans of beer I used to take down daily, what a difference. My hopes are to use the next week to allow myself only two drinks per day and the week after only one drink per day. I REALLY hope this plan works.

June 24, 2010 8:46 AM

Review by offit:

For Alcohol Dependence: Using Campral for 3 days now, unbelieveable! I have been drinking for 22 years nearly every day, I am astounded that Campral is not advertised in the same way as Champix for smoking. A very happy, but cautious customer. If you cant stop drinking, try it.

May 30, 2010 3:23 AM

Review by SoberJohn:

For Alcohol Dependence: It has been a year since I had a drink and I thank God every day for giving me my life back. I took Campral every day for four months and it helped my will power to quit and calmed my urges to drink again. I had a prescription for six months but didn't need it anymore after 3 or 4. There is no magic pill for anything in life but I highly recommend this medicine to help kick the booze habit. Please ask your doctor about Campral and get control of your life again.

February 2, 2010 11:34 AM