User Reviews for Campral

Learn more about Campral.

Alcohol Dependence 85 reviews 7 medications

8.8
Summary of Campral reviews 85 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Campral

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been taking Campral 333mg. Two tablets three times daily. And it is working like magic. I have been having no cravings whatsoever!"

CactusDave August 21, 2013

For Alcohol Dependence "Daily drinking for 20 years, been prescribed Campral 2 weeks ago. Don't know how this works but it does, no cravings. Did buy a bottle of wine after being on for a week but there was simply no pleasurable feeling, might as well be drinking water. Long way to go but maybe I might have just found something to help get my kids back."

somersetdan (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2013

For Alcohol Dependence "I was prescribed this medication after struggling to stay sober. It's very hard to put my finger on exactly how it works, or how it makes me "feel" but the best I can do is to say that I feel as normal as ever, minus the cravings for alcohol! I no longer feel compelled to reach for alcohol, It just doesn't enter my mind anywhere as much. I am taking this as part of a comprehensive program (AA, individual therapy, medication management from a psychiatrist who understands addiction, etc.). It took a good 5 weeks for it to kick in for me but when it did I definitely noticed it. Home run! It's not a magic bullet but it's a BIG help for me!"

Eric212 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2013

For Alcohol Dependence "Can't ejaculate when having sex."

stricky April 14, 2013

For Alcohol Dependence "My psychiatrist prescribed Campral because I could not seem to get off the treadmill of daily black-out drinking despite years of trying. I've been taking it just over a month. I'm frankly astonished at how it immediately started muting my cravings. For the first time in years, I didn't feel compelled to drink every night, a very odd feeling! It's important to take all three daily doses. During week two I forgot to take my midday dose to work, worked later than usual, and stopped at the liquor store on the way home. I still work to stay sober - but overall it is enormously helpful."

anna4416 March 21, 2013

For Alcohol Dependence "As a heavy drinker for ten years, up to 750ml of spirits per night, I finally turned to the doctor for help, after losing my partner and suffering from severe depression. Campral has stopped the cravings and keeps that little voice inside my head that says just one at bay. I have been on it for nearly six months and haven't touched a drop. At first there were side effects of severe wind and dizziness, but they went away after about four weeks. If you are serious about making a positive change, give it a go."

Kyles (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "I was prescribed Campral 11yrs ago and being the 'typical drinker' thought it was simply another gimmick to increase the 'failed alky' guilt complex attached to the usual remarks which accompany any lapse in our plight. I'd been given 3 weeks to live due to the amount of alcohol I was consuming (9 litres of 7.5% cider, up to 8 cans of 10% strong lager and up to a litre of whiskey per day. My gamma GT tests showed 1299, the average being between 17 & 53. I'd become jaundiced, had serious liver disease, my health was shot to bits and I was ready to die. In fact it would have been a blessed relief. If I drank much less than stated in a day, withdrawal, fits and pain beyond belief set in. Campral was new and helped save my life. PRESCRIBE IT MORE, NOW, PLEASE?"

Still Trying! (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2013

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been drinking heavily for the last 12 years. It got to a stage that I would have a beer first thing in the morning and keep going for the rest of the day. I was sacked from work as I was caught drinking at work. After 2 rounds of acute pancreatitis, I decided to put an end to this habit as it was ruining my marriage and life. I was put on Campral by my GP and I have not had a drink in 35 days. No cravings. This is a very effective medicine, that is if you really want to quit and is willing to give Campral a go."

Robert k2314 January 8, 2013

For Alcohol Dependence "It does work, but you need to give it a few weeks to help with the cravings. I lost my partner, my friends and my licence. Thanks to finding out about Campral myself on the net, my life has turned full circle and I got my REAL friends and life back again. My side affects were gas and lightheadness. I can live with that."

Its finally over September 1, 2012

For Alcohol Dependence "I was a daily drinker for over 10 years and have been to 4 rehabs and AA. I just started taking Campral today and have completely lost the desire to drink. I can't explain why or how, I just simply don't crave or even want a drink. I finally feel like I can actually live without obsessing over drinking. I highly recommend this to anyone who is struggling with alcohol."

Anonymous February 19, 2012

For Alcohol Dependence "I am a 30 year old female. I battled with alcohol for many years drinking mostly 7 days a week. I am currently finishing a recovery program and asked my counselor about something to help with the intense (overpowering) cravings. She recommended Campral and I was able to get a prescription from my doctor. I have been on the Campral for 2 days now and can't even believe how well it is working. Now I can focus my time on being productive, rather than wasting so much time dwelling on the cravings. My mood also seems better too. Life feels good. Thank God for Campral."

Anonymous January 6, 2012

For Alcohol Dependence "Campral works very soon after taking it, and really cuts down on the withdrawql and cravings associated with quitting alcohol. However, as a man, I noticed immediate sexual side effects including lack of interest and difficulty reaching orgasm. I also noticed weight gain, when I normally experience weight loss when quitting drinking. Its almost the perfect medicine besides the side effects."

Bubba2133 December 18, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "Unbeliveable. I have been in and out of AA for over 12 years. My doctor gave me Campral to try and it has had a huge impact immediately. That driving force in my head that used to take me to get a drink is gone. I spoke to my doctor today and asked if this was normal or was I imagining or talking myself into thinking it works and was told nope that's normal. It seems to work right away. So I went on line to read reviews and I am having the same experience, that inner voice driving me to drink is gone and when I try to think about getting a drink it seems like my brain is blocking that thought from going forward. Try it, you got nothing to lose and everything to gain."

Scott__ December 16, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "I was a very heavy drinker for over 20 years, drinking over a fifth a day. I read a book called the alcohol and addiction cure given to me by my father. I then started seeing a psychologist for several months before entering detox for 4 days. When I left they gave me a prescription for Campral. I did not enter a program. I did go to AA meetings quite a bit for about a year and still go occasionally although I never went through the steps. I took the Campral for about 6 or 7 months. I believe it helped, but I think it was everything combined that helped me. I have been sober since July 11,2009. Good luck."

Glad to be ALIVE December 5, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "My boyfriend is an alcoholic. He has been to treatment multiple times. He has suffered innumerable consequences. For the last year I have been on the roller coaster of trying to find a way to be understanding and so on. It's been so, so, so hard. For the past month he has been taking this and so far it's been amazing! No drinking. He says his cravings are drastically reduced. His libido has taken a hit, but I'll take that over living with an active alcoholic any day."

Heather Amanda November 25, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "My husband was prescribed Campral about a month ago. The first day he had the prescription in his pocket he got trashed. Didn't even want to get the prescription filled. Said he was having "one last fling". When he takes the medicine, it seems to work, but he just doesn't take it most of the time. Since getting the prescription filled 10/28/11 he has had two major relapses. I think this medicine is great, but it won't work if the person won't take it! He needs this medication in a shot or something that he can't just "not take" if he wants to drink. Our family had high hopes that this would be the answer to our prayers- very disappointed in him."

Beer Hater November 17, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "This medicine is a miracle. I am a daily pint a day, 100proof vodka drinker and this has helped me control my urges. A must try for someone with drinking problems."

trying2changein2011 November 16, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "I've been on Campral for one month today and it has been great! No cravings for alcohol! It also takes the edge off and really seems to lift my mood tremendously. I feel balanced and in control of my life again. No bad side effects at all. AA, my higher power and Campral have given me my life back and it is getting better every day! Give it a try. I'm so glad I did!"

Anonymous September 26, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "Sober a year 8-25-11. God, AA and Campral have worked. No cravings I couldn't handle. Together all have helped me have a new lease on life. Feel better, work has improved. Highly recommend this medicine if you want to quit drinking."

Bigbookthumper September 3, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "I just want to say thank you to anyone who was involved in making this medicine possible. I started taking this medicine to stop drinking and it has worked a treat. As an added bonus it has also aloud me to stop smoking as drinking was my trigger for having a puff. I have nothing but praise for this wonderful aid. I feel reset, like I am kid again and I am 48 years old."

Mumfuzz July 10, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "I fell into drinking heavily after receiving gastric bypass surgery, I guess since I wasn't able to use my drug of choice (food), I began to drank heavily. At first vodka and tequila, then two to three bottles of wine every night after work. I started on Campral 4 months and 3 days ago, and I am back to the old me. I feel great. I still think about it from time to time, but it doesn't last. I have been to parties of all kinds where everyone is drinking and it does not bother me one bit. I wonder why it's not advertised that much. This medication is a GREAT. Thank goodness."

thejazzyone June 11, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "Its only been 18 hours since my first pill. I've been drinking close to 2 liters of rum in 3 days for years. Talking to a friend who knows my condition I informed him I was going to start right then and there. I threw out the rest of what I was drinking, ate and fell asleep. I would always wake up sick and of course to make myself feel calmer I would drink. NOT TODAY. Soon I will reach 24hours. PRAY FOR ME!"

want2live2 June 4, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been drinking heavily (daily) for the past 20 years. When my family gave me the choice to drink and leave or stay home and be sober, I threw in the towel and sought help. My physician has me on 333mg three times a day and I am receiving regular counseling from my therapist. The first several days of treatment had my head feel like it was melting (after sobering, which was a three days). Since then, no cravings for alcohol. Tried a sip of scotch after the first week and threw the rest of the glass away, tasted like crap. Been under this treatment for two weeks now and I am in heaven. "

Anonymous April 13, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "I have been on Campral for over a year now and wish that it worked for me as well as it has for others. Unfortunately I still want to drink every day and did so daily for at least four months on the medication. "

cheersrichard February 1, 2011

For Alcohol Dependence "I've been drinking for most my life. I was letting beer control my life. I went to the ER just before Thanksgiving. My level was 3 times the legal amount. I went to detox the next day. I've been taking Campral ever since. I relapsed last week when I ran out of it. I'm back to taking it. I believe it is helping my craving. I really wanted a beer today though. However, I was able to get past the urge and not stop for one. I would have never been able to do that if I wasn't taking Campral. I'm surprised at the result. I wonder why it's not advertised. They should promote it at AA meetings."

Pam512 January 17, 2011