WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
A skull fracture is a break in one or more bones of your head. Your skull protects your brain, nerves, blood vessels, and inner ears from injury.
- Antibiotics: This medicine is given to help treat or prevent an infection caused by bacteria.
- Steroid medicine: This medicine helps decrease swelling.
- Stool softeners: This medicine makes it easier for you to have a bowel movement. You may need this medicine to treat or prevent constipation.
Follow up with your primary healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
You may need to rest in bed with your head raised for a period of time after your injury. Avoid straining, such as blowing your nose, sneezing, and lifting heavy objects. Straining may increase the pressure in your head. If fluid from around your brain is leaking, straining may worsen the leak.
A neck brace may be needed to prevent you from moving your head and neck. A neck brace may be soft or hard and helps prevent further injury while your fracture heals. A neck brace may also help decrease neck pain. Ask for more information about a neck brace and about how to care for it.
Vestibular rehabilitation may be needed if you have problems with dizziness. You will learn activities that will help improve your balance and decrease your dizziness.
Contact your primary healthcare provider if:
- People close to you notice changes in how you act.
- You have a fever.
- You have a headache that does not improve after you take medicine.
- You have ear pain.
- You are vomiting.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- You have blood or fluid coming out of one or both ears.
- You have worsening neck pain.
- You had a seizure.
- You have eye pain or swelling around your eyes.
- One or both of your eyes begin to bulge.
- You suddenly feel lightheaded and short of breath.
- You have chest pain when you take a deep breath or cough. You may cough up blood.
- Your arm or leg feels warm, tender, and painful. It may look swollen and red.
© 2013 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of the Blausen Databases or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.