This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
A rigid bronchoscopy is a procedure to look inside your respiratory system. Caregivers use a bronchoscope, which is a firm tube with a light and tiny camera on the end. Pictures of your respiratory system appear on a monitor during the procedure.
- Pain medicine: You may be given medicine to take away or decrease pain. Do not wait until the pain is severe before you take your medicine.
- Take your medicine as directed. Call your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your primary healthcare provider as directed:
Ask when you should expect the results of your procedure. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
- Do not cough or clear your throat for a few days. This will help prevent bleeding.
- Do not smoke. Smoking can cause severe damage to your airway. Ask your primary healthcare provider for information if you need help quitting.
Contact your primary healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever.
- Your pain does not go away, even after you take medicine.
- You have new symptoms or your symptoms are worse than before.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You cannot swallow.
- You cough up blood.
- You are confused and dizzy or feel like you are going to faint.
- You have shortness of breath.
- Your lips or nails turn blue.
- You have chest pain or feel like your heart is beating faster than normal.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.