WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
A prolactinoma is a tumor in your pituitary gland. Your pituitary gland makes and releases the hormone prolactin, which helps produce breastmilk. A prolactinoma often decreases estrogen levels in women and testosterone levels in men. Most prolactinomas are not cancerous.
AFTER YOU LEAVE:
- Medicines may be given to help lower your prolactin level and balance other hormones in your body.
- Take your medicine as directed. Call your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
You may need yearly blood tests to check your prolactin levels. You may need an MRI if your symptoms return. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have trouble getting or keeping an erection.
- Your menstrual period stops or becomes irregular.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Seek immediate care or call 911 if:
- You have a severe headache and a stiff, painful neck.
- You have sudden trouble seeing or a hard time moving your eyes from side to side.
- You feel faint or confused.
- You have new or increased trouble moving parts of your body.
- You have a seizure.
© 2014 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.