This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
Priapism is when you have an erection that lasts 4 hours or longer. The erection may occur without sexual stimulation. Your penis may be dark red or purplish. Priapism is usually painful and can lead to permanent tissue damage.
- Medicines may be given to decrease pain and swelling or to regulate your hormone levels.
- Take your medicine as directed. Call your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Ask your healthcare provider when it is safe for you to have sex again.
- Manage medical conditions that increase your risk for priapism.
- Do not drink alcohol if it caused your priapism before.
- Do not use drugs. Talk with your healthcare provider if you use drugs and need help to stop.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You have an erection for more than 4 hours.
- You have a painful erection that happens over and over.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.