Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
The pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV) is an injection given to protect you from pneumococcal disease. This is an infection caused by pneumococcal bacteria. The infection may cause pneumonia or an ear infection. It may also cause serious disease, such as meningitis and sepsis (blood infection). Meningitis causes swelling of the fluid and lining that covers your brain and spinal cord. Pneumococcal disease is spread from person to person through coughing and sneezing. The vaccine is usually injected in your upper arm.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Apply a warm compress to the injection area as directed to decrease pain and swelling.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever.
- You have swollen or painful lymph nodes in your neck.
- You have increased pain, redness, or swelling around the area where the shot was given.
- You have questions or concerns about the PPSV vaccine.
Return to the emergency department if:
- Your face is red or swollen.
- You have hives that spread over your body.
- You feel weak or dizzy.
- Your mouth and throat are swollen.
- You are wheezing or have trouble breathing.
- You have chest pain or your heart is beating faster than normal.
- You feel like you are going to faint.
© 2014 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Learn more about Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine (Aftercare Instructions)
Drugs associated with:
Micromedex® Care Notes:
- Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine For Children
- Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine
- Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine, Ambulatory Care
Related encyclopedia articles: