Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine For Children
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
The pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) is an injection given to protect your child from certain types of pneumococcal disease. Pneumococcal disease is an infection caused by pneumococcal bacteria. The infection may cause pneumonia or an ear infection. It may also cause serious disease, such as meningitis and sepsis (blood infection). Meningitis is an infection that causes swelling of the fluid and lining that covers your child's brain and spinal cord. Pneumococcal disease is spread from person to person through coughing and sneezing. The vaccine is usually injected in your child's thigh.
AFTER YOU LEAVE:
Follow up with your child's healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your child's visits.
Apply a warm compress to the injection area as directed to decrease pain and swelling.
Contact your child's healthcare provider if:
- Your child has increased pain, redness, or swelling around the area where the shot was given.
- You have questions or concerns about the PCV vaccine.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- Your child's face is red or swollen.
- Your child has hives that spread over his body.
- Your child feels weak or dizzy.
- Your child's mouth and throat are swollen.
- Your child is wheezing or has trouble breathing.
- Your child has chest pain or his heart is beating faster than normal.
- Your child feels like he is going to faint.
© 2014 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Learn more about Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine For Children (Discharge Care)
Drugs associated with:
Micromedex® Care Notes:
- Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine For Children
- Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine
- Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine, Ambulatory Care
Related encyclopedia articles: