Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine For Children
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine For Children (Aftercare Instructions) Care Guide
- Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine For Children
- Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine For Children Aftercare Instructions
- Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine For Children Discharge Care
- En Espanol
The pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) is an injection given to protect your child from certain types of pneumococcal disease. Pneumococcal disease is an infection caused by pneumococcal bacteria. The infection may cause pneumonia or an ear infection. It may also cause serious disease, such as meningitis and sepsis (blood infection). Meningitis is an infection that causes swelling of the fluid and lining that covers your child's brain and spinal cord. Pneumococcal disease is spread from person to person through coughing and sneezing. The vaccine is usually injected in your child's thigh.
Follow up with your child's primary healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your child's visits.
Apply a warm compress to the injection area as directed to decrease pain and swelling.
For more information:
- The National Immunization Program Public Inquiries
1600 Clifton Road, Mailstop E-05
Atlanta , GA 30333
Phone: 1- 800 - 232-4636
Web Address: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/
Contact your child's primary healthcare provider if:
- Your child has increased pain, redness, or swelling around the area where the shot was given.
- You have questions or concerns about the PCV vaccine.
Return to the emergency department if:
- Your child's face is red or swollen.
- Your child has hives that spread over his body.
- Your child feels weak or dizzy.
- Your child's mouth and throat are swollen.
- Your child is wheezing or has trouble breathing.
- Your child has chest pain or his heart is beating faster than normal.
- Your child feels like he is going to faint.
© 2013 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of the Blausen Databases or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.