Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Harvesting In Children
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
Peripheral blood stem cell harvesting is a procedure to remove stem cells from your child's blood. The stem cells can be harvested for your child or for someone else. If the stem cells are for your child, he will receive them after he has received treatment for his disease.
AFTER YOU LEAVE:
- Medicines may be given to decrease pain or prevent a bacterial infection.
- Give your child's medicine as directed. Call your child's healthcare provider if you think the medicine is not working as expected. Tell him if your child is allergic to any medicine. Keep a current list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs your child takes. Include the amounts, and when, how, and why they are taken. Bring the list or the medicines in their containers to follow-up visits. Carry your child's medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
- Do not give aspirin to children under 18 years of age. Your child could develop Reye syndrome if he takes aspirin. Reye syndrome can cause life-threatening brain and liver damage. Check your child's medicine labels for aspirin, salicylates, or oil of wintergreen.
Follow up with your child's healthcare provider as directed:
Your child will need to return form more tests. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Let your child rest as needed. Ask your child's healthcare provider when it is okay for your child to return to school and other regular activities.
Contact your child's healthcare provider if:
- Your child has nausea or vomiting.
- Your child is dizzy, weak, or has the chills.
- Your child has pain that does not go away, even after he takes medicine.
- Your child has less energy or sleeps more than usual.
- Your child is more upset or cries more than usual.
- Your child has a fever .
- You have questions about your child's condition or care.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- Your child has a seizure.
- Your child faints.
- Your child has trouble breathing.
- Your child has chest pain.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.