WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
Oral candidiasis, or thrush, is a fungal infection that affects the inside of your mouth.
- Antifungal medicine: This medicine helps kill the fungus that is causing your oral candidiasis. This medicine may be a pill or a solution that you gargle. Remove dentures before you gargle.
- Take your medicine as directed. Call your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Brush your teeth, gums, and tongue after you eat and before you go to sleep. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles. See your dentist for regular exams. Remove your dentures when you sleep, or at least 6 hours each day. Clean your dentures and soak them in denture cleaner. Let them air dry after soaking.
Contact your primary healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever.
- You have nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Your signs and symptoms get worse, even after treatment.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You have trouble swallowing and your jaw and neck are stiff.
- You are dizzy, thirsty, have a dry mouth.
- You are urinating little or not at all.
- You cannot eat or drink because of the pain.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.