WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
An ileostomy closure is surgery to close your temporary ileostomy. Your surgeon will reattach your ileum to your colon. He will also close your stoma.
AFTER YOU LEAVE:
- Medicines may be given to decrease pain.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your primary healthcare provider (PHP) if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your PHP or surgeon as directed:
You may need to return for more tests. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Carefully wash the wound with soap and water. Dry the area and put on new, clean bandages as directed. Change your bandages when they get wet or dirty.
Contact your PHP or surgeon if:
- You have a fever.
- You have abdominal pain.
- Your wound is red, warm, and swollen.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- You cough up blood or feel lightheaded, short of breath, and have chest pain.
- Your abdomen is swollen and hard.
- You are not able to have a bowel movement.
- You have blood in your bowel movement, or it looks black.
- You have abdominal pain and you are vomiting.
- You have pus draining from your wound.
© 2013 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Learn more about Ileostomy Closure (Discharge Care)
Micromedex Care Notes: