How To Instill Eye Drops
How do I instill eye drops?
How To Instill Eye Drops Care Guide
- How To Instill Eye Drops
- En Espanol
Read the instructions carefully before you use eye drops. Store eye drops at room temperature and away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not use the drops if they change color or turn cloudy. Do not use the drops if they have small bits floating in them. Wait 10 to 15 minutes before you use a different kind of eye drop. Wash your hands before and after you instill eye drops.
- Gently shake the bottle.
- Do not touch the tip of the bottle to your eye. Germs from your eye can spread to the medicine bottle if your eye touches the tip.
- Tilt your head back and pull down your lower eyelid with your index finger.
- Gently squeeze the bottle to drop the correct number of drops into your eye.
- Wait 1 minute between each drop.
- Replace the cap on the bottle.
- Close your eyes. Press your index finger against the inside corner of your eye next to your nose for 1 minute.
- Gently wipe away any extra liquid with a tissue.
- Do not rub your eyes.
When should I contact my caregiver?
Contact your caregiver if:
- You have eye pain or watering.
- You have changes in your vision.
- Your eyes are red, swollen, or draining pus.
- You develop a rash or hives.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
You have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment.
© 2013 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of the Blausen Databases or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.