How To Instill Ear Drops
How do I instill ear drops?
How To Instill Ear Drops Care Guide
- How To Instill Ear Drops
- En Espanol
Read the instructions carefully before you use ear drops. Store ear drops at room temperature and away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not use ear drops if they change color or turn cloudy. Do not use them if they have small bits floating in them. Wash your hands before and after you instill ear drops.
- Warm the drops by holding the bottle in your hands for a few minutes.
- Gently shake the bottle.
- Do not touch the tip of the bottle to your ear. Germs from your ear can spread to the medicine bottle if your ear touches the tip.
- Lie down or tilt your head to one side.
- Gently pull and hold your ear up and back. If you are putting ear drops in your child's ear, gently pull and hold his ear down and back.
- Gently squeeze the bottle to drop the correct number of drops into your ear.
- Replace the cap on the bottle.
- Press on your ear flap and keep your head tilted for several minutes to give the medicine time to coat your ear.
When should I contact my caregiver?
Contact your caregiver if:
- You have changes in your hearing, such as ringing in your ears.
- Your ear itches, stings, or burns.
- You have a rash in or around your ear.
- You are dizzy.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
You have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment.
© 2013 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of the Blausen Databases or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.