This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding may occur in any part of your digestive tract. This includes your esophagus, stomach, intestines, rectum, or anus. The bleeding may or may not be seen easily. Bleeding may be sudden and last only a short time, or it may go on for a long time and occur more than once.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
You may feel like resting more as you recover. Slowly start to do more each day. Rest when you feel it is needed. Do not lift heavy objects. Ask when you can return to your usual activities, such as work.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have bowel movements that are tarry or black.
- You have abdominal pain or swelling, nausea, or vomiting.
- You have heartburn or other signs of stomach acid problems.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- You are vomiting blood, or your vomit looks like coffee grounds.
- You feel like you are going to have a bowel movement, but pass only blood or blood clots into the toilet.
- You have any of the following signs of shock or blood loss:
- Chest pain
- Dizziness or fainting, especially after suddenly moving from a sitting or lying position
- Confusion or shortness of breath
- Weakness that is so bad you cannot stand
- Chest pain
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.