This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Core-needle Breast Biopsy
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
A core needle breast biopsy is a procedure to find the cause of a breast lump. This procedure uses a large needle to collect a sample of tissue from your breast. The sample is then sent to a lab and examined for cancer.
AFTER YOU LEAVE:
Follow up with your surgeon or breast specialist as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Do a monthly breast self-exam. If you are having monthly periods, do it 2 or 3 days after your period ends. If you have gone through menopause, check your breasts on the same day each month. You may also need to have a mammogram taken regularly. Ask for more information about how to do a breast self-exam and when to have a mammogram.
Contact your surgeon or breast specialist if:
- You have a fever.
- You have discharge or pain in the area where the needle was inserted.
- Your skin is itchy, swollen, or has a rash.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- The skin around your biopsy area is red, swollen, or has pus.
- You feel something is bulging out into your chest and not going back in.
- You have pain in your chest or armpit that does not go away even after you take pain medicines.
- You have trouble breathing all of a sudden.
- Your shoulder, arm, or fingers are numb, tingly, cool, blue, or pale.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.