This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
An arthrogram is an x-ray of a joint. Dye is injected to help caregivers see your joint clearly. Tell caregivers if you are allergic to iodine or shellfish. You may also be allergic to the dye.
- NSAIDs: These medicines decrease swelling and pain. NSAIDs are available without a doctor's order. Ask your primary healthcare provider which medicine is right for you, and how much to take. Take as directed. NSAIDs can cause stomach bleeding or kidney problems if not taken correctly.
- Take your medicine as directed. Call your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Rest and ice:
Rest your joint and use ice to decrease pain and swelling. Use an ice pack or put crushed ice in a plastic bag. Cover the ice pack with a towel and place it on the area for 15 to 20 minutes every hour, or as directed.
Contact your primary healthcare provider if:
- You have new numbness in the arm or leg where you had your arthrogram.
- You have a rash.
- You feel weak or dizzy.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You have pain, redness, or swelling in the area where your injection was given.
- You have a fever or your joint becomes swollen, warm, or more painful.
- Your joints feel stiff, or you have trouble moving your limbs.
- You have raised yellow spots on the whites of your eyes.
- Your skin becomes swollen, itchy, or feels like it is burning.
- You have a seizure.
- You have sudden trouble breathing.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.