Vicks VapoSteam liquid
Generic Name: camphor (KAM-for)
Brand Name: Vicks VapoSteam
Vicks VapoSteam liquid is used for:
Temporarily relieving cough due to the common cold. It is used along with a steam vaporizer. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vicks VapoSteam liquid is a cough suppressant. It works by helping steam to moisten breathing passages.
Do NOT use Vicks VapoSteam liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vicks VapoSteam liquid
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vicks VapoSteam liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vicks VapoSteam liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you have a persistent cough (eg, due to smoking), breathing or lung problems (eg, asthma, emphysema), or a cough with a lot of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vicks VapoSteam liquid. However, no specific interactions with Vicks VapoSteam liquid are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Vicks VapoSteam liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vicks VapoSteam liquid:
Use Vicks VapoSteam liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Add Vicks VapoSteam liquid to cold water only in a hot steam vaporizer as directed by your doctor or on the product label.
- Follow the manufacturer's directions for using a vaporizer. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions on how to use a vaporizer.
- Breathe in medicated vapors. Do not allow steam to get too close to your face.
- If you miss a dose of Vicks VapoSteam liquid, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vicks VapoSteam liquid.
Important safety information:
- Vicks VapoSteam liquid may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Vicks VapoSteam liquid is for external use only. Do not take it by mouth. Do not get Vicks VapoSteam liquid in your eyes. If you get it in your eyes, rinse at once with cool water.
- Vicks VapoSteam liquid is flammable. Do not use it near an open flame. Do not heat or microwave Vicks VapoSteam liquid.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days, get worse, or if you develop a high fever or persistent headache, check with your doctor.
- Vicks VapoSteam liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old without first checking with your child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vicks VapoSteam liquid while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Vicks VapoSteam liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vicks VapoSteam liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Vicks VapoSteam liquid. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Vicks VapoSteam liquid:
Store Vicks VapoSteam liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat. Keep Vicks VapoSteam liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vicks VapoSteam liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vicks VapoSteam liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vicks VapoSteam liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vicks VapoSteam liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vicks VapoSteam liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vicks VapoSteam liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.