Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom
Generic Name: acetaminophen/dextromethorphan/doxylamine (a-SEET-a-MIN-oh-fen/dex-troe-meth-OR-fan/dox-IL-a-meen)
Brand Name: Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom
Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom is used for:
Relieving symptoms of pain, sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom is an analgesic, cough suppressant, and antihistamine combination. The analgesic and cough suppressant work in the brain to decrease pain and to reduce dry or unproductive cough. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing.
Do NOT use Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; an overactive thyroid; liver problems; or severe kidney problems; or if you consume more than 3 alcohol-containing drinks per day
- if you have a history of asthma, persistent cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cough caused by smoking, or if cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), furazolidone, isoniazid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine ), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding, irregular heartbeat, or heart attack may be increased
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom:
Use Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom by mouth with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom.
Important safety information:
- Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom without first checking with your doctor.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom without checking with your doctor.
- Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom has acetaminophen, doxylamine, and dextromethorphan in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has acetaminophen, doxylamine, or dextromethorphan in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Contact your doctor if you have a sore throat that is severe, lasts for more than 2 days, or occurs with fever, headache, rash, nausea, or vomiting.
- Contact your doctor if you have a fever that last for more than 3 days.
- Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom may harm your liver. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom. Talk to your doctor before you take Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom or other fever reducers if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom while you are pregnant. It is not known if Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom.
Possible side effects of Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; stomach pain; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes; yellowing of skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom:
Store Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Vicks NyQuil Multi-Symptom (acetaminophen / dextromethorphan / doxylamine)
- Other brands: Vicks Nyquil Cold & Flu Relief, Contac Cold + Flu (Night) Cooling Relief Liquid, Delsym Night Time Cough & Cold, Night Time Cold & Flu, More (6) »