Generic Name: solifenacin (SOE-li-FEN-a-sin)
Brand Name: VESIcare
VESIcare is used for:
Treating overactive bladder with symptoms of an urgent need to urinate, a need to urinate often, or leakage of urine.
VESIcare is a muscarinic receptor antagonist. It works by blocking the action of certain chemicals in the body to help decrease urination problems caused by overactive bladder.
Do NOT use VESIcare if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in VESIcare
- you have uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma
- you have severe liver problems
- you are unable to empty your bladder (urinary retention) or have slow or delayed emptying of your stomach (gastric retention)
- you are taking a solid oral potassium product (eg, tablet)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using VESIcare:
Some medical conditions may interact with VESIcare. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or bowel problems, constipation, difficulty urinating, or a weak urine stream
- if you have narrow-angle glaucoma, liver or kidney problems, or a history of heart problems (eg, QT prolongation)
- if you take any medicine that may increase the risk of a certain type of irregular heartbeat (prolonged QT interval). Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines may increase the risk of this type of irregular heartbeat
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with VESIcare. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Solid oral potassium product (eg, tablet) because the risk of stomach or bowel irritation may be increased by VESIcare
- Azole antifungals (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole), macrolide antibiotics (eg, clarithromycin), nefazodone, protease inhibitors (eg, boceprevir, ritonavir), or telithromycin because they may increase the risk of VESIcare's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if VESIcare may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use VESIcare:
Use VESIcare as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with VESIcare. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take VESIcare by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow VESIcare whole with water. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Continue to take VESIcare even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of VESIcare, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses on the same day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use VESIcare.
Important safety information:
- VESIcare may cause drowsiness or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use VESIcare with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Contact your doctor at once if you experience severe stomach pain or if you are constipated for 3 or more days.
- VESIcare may cause decreased sweating. Do not become overheated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur. Contact your doctor if you have been exposed to high temperatures and you develop fever; flushing; hot, dry skin; severe or persistent headache; dizziness; sudden or severe tiredness or weakness; fast heartbeat; seizures; or fainting.
- VESIcare may cause dry mouth. To help relieve dry mouth, suck on sugarless hard candy or ice chips, chew sugarless gum, drink water, or use a saliva substitute. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- A serious side effect called angioedema has been reported with the use of VESIcare. Contact your doctor at once if you develop swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; difficulty swallowing or breathing; or hoarseness.
- Use VESIcare with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- VESIcare should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using VESIcare while you are pregnant. It is not known if VESIcare is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking VESIcare.
Possible side effects of VESIcare:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; constipation; dry mouth; indigestion or stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); confusion; constipation lasting 3 or more days; decreased sweating; difficult or painful urination; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mood or mental changes (eg, depression); redness or peeling of the skin; severe dizziness, tiredness, or nausea; severe stomach pain; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; unusual or severe headache.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; enlarged pupils; severe drowsiness; tremors; unusually dry skin.Proper storage of VESIcare:
Store VESIcare at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep VESIcare out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about VESIcare, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- VESIcare is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take VESIcare or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about VESIcare. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to VESIcare. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using VESIcare.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.