Veripred 20 solution
Generic Name: prednisolone sodium phosphate (pred-NIS-oh-lone SO-dee-uhm FOSS-fate)
Brand Name: Examples include Orapred and Veripred 20
Veripred 20 solution is used for:
Treating severe allergies, arthritis, asthma, certain blood disorders, and skin conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Veripred 20 solution is a corticosteroid. It works by modifying the body's immune response to various conditions and decreasing inflammation.
Do NOT use Veripred 20 solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Veripred 20 solution
- you have a systemic fungal infection, a certain type of malaria, inflammation of the optic nerve, or herpes infection of the eye
- you are scheduled to have a live or attenuated live vaccination (eg, smallpox)
- you are taking mifepristone
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Veripred 20 solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Veripred 20 solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, congestive heart failure), heart attack, high blood pressure, kidney problems, liver problems, diabetes, seizures, an underactive thyroid, adrenal gland problems, or any mental or mood problems
- if you have or have recently had a fungal, bacterial, viral, or other type of infection; herpes infection of the eye; chickenpox; measles; or shingles
- if you have HIV infection or tuberculosis (TB) infection, or if you have had ever had a positive TB skin test
- if you have any stomach problems (eg, ulcers), intestinal problems (eg, blockage, perforation, or infection; unexplained diarrhea; diverticulitis; ulcerative colitis), recent intestinal surgery, or inflammation of the esophagus
- if you have weak bones (eg, osteoporosis) or muscle problems (eg, myasthenia gravis)
- if you have had a recent vaccination (eg, smallpox)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Veripred 20 solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, ephedrine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or rifampin because they may decrease Veripred 20 solution's effectiveness
- Clarithromycin, cyclosporine, estrogens (eg, estradiol), oral contraceptives (eg, birth control pills), or ketoconazole because they may increase the risk of Veripred 20 solution's side effects
- Anticholinesterases (eg, pyridostigmine), aspirin, diuretics, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, live or attenuated live vaccines (eg, smallpox), methotrexate, mifepristone, or ritodrine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Veripred 20 solution
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or killed or inactivated vaccines because their effectiveness may be decreased by Veripred 20 solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Veripred 20 solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Veripred 20 solution:
Use Veripred 20 solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Veripred 20 solution by mouth with food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Veripred 20 solution and you are taking 1 dose daily, take it as soon as possible. If you do not remember until the next day, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Veripred 20 solution.
Important safety information:
- Veripred 20 solution may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does.
- Report to your doctor any injuries or signs of infection (fever, sore throat, pain during urination, or muscle aches) for up to 12 months after stopping Veripred 20 solution.
- Carry an ID card at all times that says you take Veripred 20 solution.
- Do not receive a live vaccine (eg, measles, mumps) while you are taking Veripred 20 solution. Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Veripred 20 solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Diabetes patients - Veripred 20 solution may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including adrenal function tests, may be performed while you use Veripred 20 solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Caution is advised when using Veripred 20 solution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they take Veripred 20 solution.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Veripred 20 solution while you are pregnant. Veripred 20 solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Veripred 20 solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
If you are on long-term or high dosage therapy and you suddenly stop taking Veripred 20 solution, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms, including fever, vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea, nausea, dizziness, weight loss, weakness, general body discomfort, or joint or muscle pain.
Possible side effects of Veripred 20 solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Acne; clumsiness; dizziness; facial flushing; feeling of a whirling motion; general body discomfort; headache; increased appetite; increased sweating; nausea; nervousness; sleeplessness; upset stomach.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; changes in body fat; changes in menstrual period; changes in skin color; chest pain; easy bruising or bleeding; infection (eg, fever, chills, sore throat); mental or mood changes (eg, depression); muscle pain, weakness, or wasting; seizures; severe nausea or vomiting; sudden severe dizziness or headache; swelling of feet or legs; tendon or bone pain; thinning of skin; unusual skin sensation; unusual weight gain; vision changes or other eye problems; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Veripred 20 solution:
Store Veripred 20 solution in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Keep Veripred 20 solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Veripred 20 solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Veripred 20 solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Veripred 20 solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Veripred 20 solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Veripred 20 solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Veripred 20 solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.