Generic Name: fluticasone furoate (floo-TIK-a-sone)
Brand Name: Veramyst
Veramyst spray is used for:
Treatment of nasal allergy symptoms, including congestion, sneezing, itching, and runny nose.
Veramyst spray is a corticosteroid. It works by reducing inflammatory reactions in the nasal airway in response to allergens and irritants in the air.
Do NOT use Veramyst spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Veramyst spray
- you have recently had an open sore in your nose, nasal surgery, or a nasal injury and it has not healed yet
- you are taking ritonavir
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Veramyst spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with Veramyst spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have active or inactive tuberculosis (TB) or you have had a positive skin test for TB
- if you have any type of infection (eg, bacterial, fungal, viral, parasitic), including measles, chickenpox, or herpes simplex, in or around the eye
- if you have diarrhea or a history of liver problems, asthma, glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, or cataracts
- if you have recently had an open sore in your nose, nasal surgery, or a nasal injury
- if you have a medical condition requiring long-term use of corticosteroids (eg, prednisone)
- if you have recently received a vaccination
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Veramyst spray. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), delavirdine, or protease inhibitors (eg, boceprevir, ritonavir) because they may increase the risk of Veramyst spray's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Veramyst spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Veramyst spray:
Use Veramyst spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Veramyst spray. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- You will need to prime Veramyst spray before you use it for the first time. To prime Veramyst spray, shake it well then spray 6 test sprays in to the air away from your face. You will need to re-prime the medicine if it is not used for 30 days or longer or if the cap is left off the bottle for 5 days or longer
- Shake Veramyst spray well before each use.
- To use Veramyst spray, gently blow your nose. Remove the cap and hold the spray device upright. Tilt your head forward slightly and place the nozzle in one nostril. Point the end of the nozzle toward the side of your nose (away from the center of your nose). Firmly press the mist release button while breathing in gently through your nose, then remove the nozzle from your nose and breathe out through your mouth. Repeat these steps for the other nostril. After you finish your dose, wipe the nozzle with a clean, dry tissue and replace the cap.
- If the patient is a young child, an adult should help the child use Veramyst spray.
- Clean the inside of the cap once a week with a clean, dry tissue. Never try to clean the nozzle with a pin or anything sharp; doing so may damage the nozzle.
- This bottle contains 120 sprays (not counting the initial priming sprays). Do not use this bottle after 120 sprays have been used. It may not give the correct amount of medicine with each spray.
- Use Veramyst spray on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Using Veramyst spray at the same time each day will help you remember to use it.
- Continue to use Veramyst spray even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Veramyst spray, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Veramyst spray.
Important safety information:
- Do not get Veramyst spray in your eyes or mouth. If you get it in either of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Veramyst spray before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Symptoms may begin to improve within 24 hours after you start Veramyst spray. However, it may take several days before you notice the full benefit of Veramyst spray. If symptoms do not improve or if the condition worsens, contact your health care provider.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use more often prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If you have NOT had chickenpox or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does. Contact your doctor right away if you are exposed to anyone with these conditions.
- Serious side effects may occur if too much of Veramyst spray is used. These effects may also occur in certain patients at the recommended dose. The risk is greater in children. Do not use more than the prescribed dose. Contact your doctor right away if you develop unusual weight gain (especially in the face), muscle weakness, increased thirst or urination, confusion, unusual drowsiness, severe or persistent headache, anxiety, depression, irritability, or vision changes. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Veramyst spray should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Veramyst spray.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Veramyst spray while you are pregnant. It is not known if Veramyst spray is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Veramyst spray, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Veramyst spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Back pain; cough; headache; minor nosebleed; sore throat.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); crusting in the nose; dizziness; redness or white patches in the mouth or throat; severe or persistent nosebleed; severe or persistent pain in the nose or throat; shortness of breath; slow wound healing; symptoms of infection (eg, fever, chills, persistent cough or sore throat); unexplained runny nose; unusual nausea or vomiting; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision changes; whistling sound when you breathe.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Veramyst spray:
Store Veramyst spray between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not refrigerate or freeze. Store in the upright position with the cap in place. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not use past the expiration date on the container. Keep Veramyst spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Veramyst spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Veramyst spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Veramyst spray or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Veramyst spray. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Veramyst spray. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Veramyst spray.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Veramyst (fluticasone nasal)
- Other brands: Flonase