Vanacof G liquid
Generic Name: chlophedianol/guaifenesin (KLOE-fe-DYE-a-nol/gwye-FEN-e-sin)
Brand Name: Examples include Chlo Tuss EX and Vanacof G
Vanacof G liquid is used for:
Temporarily relieving chest congestion and cough due to throat and airway irritation caused by the common cold. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vanacof G liquid is a cough suppressant and expectorant combination. The expectorant works by loosening mucus and thinning lung secretions in the chest, making coughs more productive. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use Vanacof G liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vanacof G liquid
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vanacof G liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vanacof G liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a chronic cough, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), other lung problems (eg, asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vanacof G liquid. However, no specific interactions with Vanacof G liquid are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Vanacof G liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vanacof G liquid:
Use Vanacof G liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Vanacof G liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure the dose.
- To help Vanacof G liquid work, drink extra fluids while taking Vanacof G liquid, unless your doctor has instructed otherwise.
- If you miss a dose of Vanacof G liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vanacof G liquid.
Important safety information:
- Vanacof G liquid may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Vanacof G liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Vanacof G liquid has a cough suppressant and an expectorant in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a cough suppressant or an expectorant in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If new symptoms occur, or if cough persists for more than 1 week; goes away and comes back; or is accompanied by a fever, rash, or persistent headache, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Do not use Vanacof G liquid for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Vanacof G liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Vanacof G liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Vanacof G liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Vanacof G liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vanacof G liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Vanacof G liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Vanacof G liquid.
Possible side effects of Vanacof G liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; nausea; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Store Vanacof G liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vanacof G liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vanacof G liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vanacof G liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vanacof G liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vanacof G liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vanacof G liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vanacof G liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.