Generic Name: tetrahydrozoline (teh-trah-high-DRAHZ-ah-leen)
Brand Name: Tyzine
Tyzine solution is used for:
Treating nasal congestion due to colds, hay fever, allergies, or sinusitis. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tyzine solution is a decongestant. It works by shrinking swollen and congested nasal tissues by constricting blood vessels. This improves drainage of mucus and breathing through the nose.
Do NOT use Tyzine solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Tyzine solution
- you are currently taking furazolidone or have taken a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Tyzine solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Tyzine solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, an overactive thyroid, or diabetes
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Tyzine solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the effectiveness of Tyzine solution may be decreased
- Furazolidone and MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine) because side effects such as headache, high blood pressure, and elevated body temperature may occur
- Bromocriptine or catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone, St. John's wort) because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Tyzine solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Tyzine solution:
Use Tyzine solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Gently blow your nose before using Tyzine solution.
- To use nose drops: Lie down and tilt your head back. Breathe through your mouth. Insert the dropper tip in the nose no more than 1 3 inch. Try not to touch the dropper tip to the inside of your nose. Place the correct number of drops in your nose. Continue to lie down with your head tilted back for 2 minutes.
- To use nose spray: Sit down and tilt your head back slightly. Place the tip of the spray container into the nose. Using a finger from your other hand, press against the opposite nostril to close it off. Breathe gently through the open nostril and squeeze the spray container. If you are using more than 1 spray, wait for 1 to 2 minutes between sprays. After using the medicine, rinse the tip of the spray unit in hot water and dry with a clean tissue to prevent contamination.
- If you miss a dose of Tyzine solution and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is much more than 1 hour since your missed dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tyzine solution.
Important safety information:
- Tyzine solution may cause drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Tyzine solution. Using Tyzine solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Tyzine solution is for nasal use only. Avoid contact with the eyes and mouth. Illness may occur if Tyzine solution is taken by mouth.
- Use Tyzine solution at bedtime to avoid sleep interruption and sleeplessness.
- Diabetes patients - Tyzine solution may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Tyzine solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Tyzine solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Tyzine solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Tyzine solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Tyzine solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning; dry mouth, nose, or throat; increase in nasal discharge; sneezing; stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive sweating; pale skin color; pounding in the chest; severe drowsiness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include changes in heartbeat; drowsiness; fainting; pale skin color.Proper storage of Tyzine solution:
Store Tyzine solution below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tyzine solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Tyzine solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tyzine solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Tyzine solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Tyzine solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Tyzine solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Tyzine solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Tyzine (tetrahydrozoline nasal)
- Other brands: Tyzine Pediatric Nasal