Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom
Generic Name: acetaminophen/diphenhydramine/phenylephrine (a-SEET-a-MIN-oh-fen/DYE-fen-HYE-dra-meen/FEN-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Benadryl Allergy/Cold and Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom
Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom is used for:
Relieving symptoms such as pain, sinus congestion, runny nose, and sneezing due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom is an analgesic, antihistamine, and decongestant combination. The analgesic works in the brain to help decrease pain. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages, which decreases stuffiness.
Do NOT use Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom:
Some medical conditions may interact with Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma; lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema); trouble breathing when you sleep (apnea); adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your stomach, bladder, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; the blood disease porphyria; an overactive thyroid; severe kidney problems; or liver problems; or if you consume more than 3 alcohol-containing drinks per day
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, isoniazid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), digoxin, or droxidopa because the risk of bleeding, irregular heartbeat, or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom:
Use Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom.
Important safety information:
- Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom without checking with you doctor.
- Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom has acetaminophen, diphenhydramine, and phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has these or similar medicines in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- If you have a fever that becomes worse or lasts for more than 3 days, contact your doctor.
- Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom may harm your liver. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom. Talk to your doctor before you take Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom or other fever reducers if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; risk of liver damage may be increased.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom while you are pregnant. Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom.
Possible side effects of Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mood or mental changes; pale stools; seizures; severe drowsiness; severe or persistent dizziness, nervousness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; stomach pain; tremor; vision changes; yellowing of skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom:
Store Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom resources
- Tylenol Allergy Multi-Symptom Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)