Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir
Generic Name: pseudoephedrine/dextromethorphan (sue-do-eh-FED-rin/dex-troe-meth-OR-fan)
Brand Name: Examples include Dexatrex D and Tussin Pediatric
Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir is used for:
Relieving congestion and cough due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir is a decongestant and cough suppressant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages, which helps you to breathe more easily. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir
- you have severe high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, or other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease)
- you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir:
Some medical conditions may interact with Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of glaucoma, an enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, blood vessel problems, adrenal gland problems, an overactive thyroid, seizures, or stroke
- if you have chronic cough, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung problems (eg, asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), COMT inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of side effects from Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir may be increased
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine because the risk of side effects may be increased by Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir:
Use Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir may be taken with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir.
Important safety information:
- Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir. Using Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not take appetite suppressants while you are taking Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir without checking with your doctor.
- Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir contains pseudoephedrine. Before you begin taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains pseudoephedrine. If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or take Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir may interfere with certain lab test results. Make sure that all of your doctors and lab personnel know that you are taking Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir.
- Use Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir during pregnancy. It is unknown if Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir.
Possible side effects of Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir:
Store Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Triaminic Allergy-Congestion Elixir.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.