Generic Name: triptorelin (TRIP-toe-REL-in)
Brand Name: Examples include Trelstar Depot and Trelstar LA
Trelstar LA is used for:
Treating symptoms of advanced prostate cancer. It may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Trelstar LA is a synthetic analogue of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist. It works by decreasing the production of certain hormones, which reduces testosterone levels in the body.
Do NOT use Trelstar LA if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Trelstar LA, to GnRH, or to another GnRH agonist (eg, goserelin)
- you are pregnant, may become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Trelstar LA:
Some medical conditions may interact with Trelstar LA. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history or urinary problems (eg, blockage of the bladder or ureters), spinal cord problems, abnormal growths on or near the spine or spinal cord, a certain type of irregular heartbeat (congenital long QT syndrome) or other heart problems (eg, congestive heart failure), blood vessel problems (eg, in the brain), a stroke, or diabetes or high blood sugar
- if you have blood electrolyte problems (eg, low blood magnesium or potassium levels)
- if you take any medicine that may increase the risk of a certain type of irregular heartbeat (prolonged QT interval). Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines may increase the risk of this health problem
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Trelstar LA. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Medicines that increase prolactin levels in the blood (eg, promethazine) because the effectiveness of Trelstar LA may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Trelstar LA may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Trelstar LA:
Use Trelstar LA as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Trelstar LA is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Trelstar LA at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Trelstar LA. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Trelstar LA is injected into the muscle.
- Rotate the injection site. Do not inject into an area of skin that is red, hard, or bruised, or has scars or stretch marks.
- Do not use Trelstar LA if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist to explain local regulations for selecting an appropriate container and properly disposing of the container when full.
- If you miss a dose of Trelstar LA, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Trelstar LA.
Important safety information:
- Trelstar LA may cause dizziness or vision changes. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Trelstar LA with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Certain hormone levels may increase during the first few weeks of treatment with Trelstar LA. This may cause you to experience worsening symptoms or onset of new symptoms (eg, bone pain; blood in the urine; difficulty urinating; burning, numbness, or tingling) during the first few weeks of treatment. Patients with growths on or near the spine or spinal cord, or blockage of the bladder or ureters may be at greater risk of developing serious and sometimes fatal complications. Contact your doctor if any new or worsened symptoms occur while using Trelstar LA.
- Trelstar LA lowers the amount of certain hormones in your body. This may cause certain expected side effects to occur, such as breast enlargement, soreness, or tenderness; testicular changes, pain, or soreness; decreased sexual ability; hot flashes; or night sweats. Contact your doctor if you have questions or concerns or if you experience any of these side effects.
- Lowering the amount of male hormones in the body may increase the risk of a certain type of irregular heartbeat (prolonged QT interval). Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- A slight increase in the risk of stroke or serious and sometimes fatal heart problems has been reported with the use of GnRH agonists in men. Although the risk appears to be low, seek immediate medical attention if you experience chest, jaw, or left arm pain; confusion; fainting; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; slurred speech; sudden, severe headache or vomiting; or vision changes. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Trelstar LA may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- Diabetes patients - Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Rarely, a serious pituitary gland problem (pituitary apoplexy) may occur after you use Trelstar LA. This serious problem usually occurs shortly after you begin to use Trelstar LA. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience a sudden headache, vomiting, fainting, eye weakness, inability to move your eyes, mental status changes, or vision changes.
- Trelstar LA may interfere with certain lab tests, including certain hormone and pituitary gland function tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Trelstar LA.
- Lab tests, including testosterone, prostate specific antigen (PSA) levels, hemoglobin A1c, or blood glucose, may be performed while you use Trelstar LA. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Trelstar LA with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Trelstar LA may cause harm to the fetus. Do not become pregnant while you are using it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Trelstar LA while you are pregnant. It is not known if Trelstar LA is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Trelstar LA.
Possible side effects of Trelstar LA:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Change in breast size; constipation; decreased sexual desire or ability; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; hot flashes; itching, pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; loss of appetite; nausea; sleeplessness; stomach discomfort; tiredness or weakness; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); back pain; blood in the urine or dark urine; bone pain; breast pain; burning, numbness, or tingling; calf or leg pain or tenderness; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; mood or mental changes (eg, depression); painful urination; severe or persistent headache, drowsiness, or dizziness; severe or persistent joint, muscle, or back pain; severe or persistent leg cramps; shortness of breath; sudden, unusual weight gain; swelling of the hands, ankles, feet or legs; symptoms of heart attack (eg, chest, jaw, or left arm pain; numbness of an arm or leg; sudden, severe headache or vomiting); symptoms of high blood sugar (eg, drowsiness; fast breathing; flushing; fruit-like breath odor; increased thirst, hunger, or urination); symptoms of stroke (eg, confusion, one-sided weakness, slurred speech); trouble urinating or inability to urinate; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Trelstar LA:
Store Trelstar LA at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not freeze. Discard any medicine not used immediately after mixing. Keep Trelstar LA, as well as needles and syringes, out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Trelstar LA, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Trelstar LA is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Trelstar LA or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Trelstar LA. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Trelstar LA. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Trelstar LA.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.