Generic Name: tegaserod (teg-a-SER-od)
Brand Name: Zelnorm
Tegaserod is used for:
Short term treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in women who have constipation as their main symptom. It is also used for treating certain men and women who have a type of chronic constipation. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tegaserod is a selective serotonin receptor agonist. It works on the nerves of the bowel to improve bowel function. This helps you to have more normal stools.
Do NOT use tegaserod if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in tegaserod
- you have moderate to severe liver problems or severe kidney problems
- you have a history of certain bile duct or gallbladder problems, blockage of the bowel, or abdominal adhesions
- you have diarrhea or you have diarrhea often
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using tegaserod:
Some medical conditions may interact with tegaserod. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of certain severe bowel problems (eg, ischemic colitis) or gallbladder, liver, or kidney problems
- if you have low blood pressure or are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with tegaserod. However, no specific interactions with tegaserod are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if tegaserod may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use tegaserod:
Use tegaserod as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with tegaserod. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take tegaserod by mouth on an empty stomach, shortly before you eat a meal, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- If you miss a dose of tegaserod, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use tegaserod.
Important safety information:
- Tegaserod may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use tegaserod with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Use tegaserod with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially diarrhea.
- Tegaserod should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using tegaserod while you are pregnant. It is not known if tegaserod is found in the breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking tegaserod.
Possible side effects of tegaserod:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; diarrhea with severe cramping; fainting; new or worsening stomach pain; rectal bleeding; severe or persistent diarrhea or dizziness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include severe or persistent diarrhea, headache, or nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.Proper storage of tegaserod:
Store tegaserod at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep tegaserod out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about tegaserod, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tegaserod is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is summary only. It does not contain all information about tegaserod. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about tegaserod
- Other brands: Zelnorm