Tears Again ointment
Generic Name: artificial tear
Brand Name: Examples include Lacri-Lube S.O.P. and Tears Again
Tears Again ointment is used for:
Treating dry eyes. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tears Again ointment is an eye lubricant. It works by providing tear-like lubrication for relief of dry eyes and eye irritation.
Do NOT use Tears Again ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Tears Again ointment
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Tears Again ointment:
Some medical conditions may interact with Tears Again ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Tears Again ointment. Because little, if any, of Tears Again ointment is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Tears Again ointment may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Tears Again ointment:
Use Tears Again ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use Tears Again ointment in the eye, first, wash your hands. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from your eye to form a pouch (avoiding the eyelashes). Squeeze a thin strip of ointment into the pouch. After using Tears Again ointment, gently close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them. Wipe the applicator tip with a clean, dry tissue.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you miss a dose of Tears Again ointment, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tears Again ointment.
Important safety information:
- Tears Again ointment may cause blurred vision. Use Tears Again ointment with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Tears Again ointment while you are pregnant. It is not known if Tears Again ointment is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Tears Again ointment, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Tears Again ointment:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; eye pain; irritation; redness; worsening of your condition.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Tears Again ointment:
Store Tears Again ointment at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tears Again ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Tears Again ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tears Again ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Tears Again ointment or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Tears Again ointment. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Tears Again ointment. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Tears Again ointment.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.