Sennosides chewable tabletsPronunciation
Generic Name: sennosides (SEN-oh-sides)
Brand Name: Examples include Evac-u-gen and Ex-Lax
Sennosides chewable tablets is used for:
Sennosides chewable tablets is a stimulant laxative. It works by irritating bowel tissues, resulting in bowel movements.
Do NOT use sennosides chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in sennosides chewable tablets
- you have had recent abdominal surgery or require immediate abdominal surgery
- you have appendicitis; bleeding of the stomach, intestine, or rectum; or an obstruction in your intestines (fecal impaction)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using sennosides chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with sennosides chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have congestive heart failure, you are experiencing nausea or vomiting, or you have undiagnosed stomach pain
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with sennosides chewable tablets. However, no specific interactions with sennosides chewable tablets are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if sennosides chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use sennosides chewable tablets:
Use sennosides chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take sennosides chewable tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Take sennosides chewable tablets with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Drinking extra fluids while you are taking sennosides chewable tablets is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Chew tablet or allow to dissolve in your mouth.
- It is best to take sennosides chewable tablets at bedtime.
- If you miss a dose of sennosides chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use sennosides chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- A bowel movement usually occurs in 6 to 12 hours.
- Do not use for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor.
- Using sennosides chewable tablets for a long time may result in loss of normal bowel function.
- Do not take additional laxatives or stool softeners with sennosides chewable tablets unless directed by your doctor.
- If you notice a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts for 2 weeks or more, stop using sennosides chewable tablets and check with your doctor.
- Sennosides chewable tablets may discolor the urine pink to red, or yellow to brown.
- Sennosides chewable tablets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using sennosides chewable tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if sennosides chewable tablets is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use sennosides chewable tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Overuse of laxatives can lead to a DEPENDENCE on laxatives to have a bowel movement. In severe overuse cases, some laxatives have caused damage to the intestines and bowel.
Possible side effects of sennosides chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Abdominal discomfort or cramping; diarrhea; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); kidney inflammation; poor bowel function; rectal bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch .
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of sennosides chewable tablets:
Store sennosides chewable tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep sennosides chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about sennosides chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sennosides chewable tablets is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take sennosides chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about sennosides chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to sennosides chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using sennosides chewable tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.