Generic Name: selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione (se-LEE-nee-um/ue-REE-a/zink PIR-i-THYE-one)
Brand Name: Examples include Selonos and Selseb
Selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione is used for:
Treating dandruff, seborrhea, or tinea versicolor (a fungal infection). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione is an antiseborrheic, antifungal medicine. It decreases skin cell growth associated with flaking and itching. It also kills sensitive fungi.
Do NOT use selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione:
Some medical conditions may interact with selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have broken, irritated, inflamed, or oozing skin at the application site
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione. Because little, if any, of selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione:
Use selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To treat dandruff or seborrhea, massage selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione into the wet scalp as directed by your doctor. Rinse scalp and hair well after treatment.
- To treat tinea versicolor, apply a sufficient amount to cover affected areas. Lather well with a small amount of water. Leave the medicine on the skin for 10 minutes, then rinse well.
- Wash your hands right away after using selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Continue to use selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione as directed by your doctor even if your condition begins to improve. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione.
Important safety information:
- Selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione is for external use only. Do not get selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione in your eyes, nose, mouth, or in the genital area. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do not apply selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione in skin folds; irritation may occur.
- Do not use selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione on broken, blistered, or inflamed skin.
- Do not use more often or for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. If you use topical products too often, some conditions may become worse.
- Do not use selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione for another skin condition at a later time.
- Selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione may discolor the hair. This effect can be decreased or avoided by rinsing your hair well after you use selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione.
- Selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione may cause your scalp to become dry or oily. If these side effects occur and become bothersome, contact your doctor.
- Selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione while you are pregnant. It is not known if selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
No COMMON side effects have been reported with selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione:
Store selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Do not freeze. Store away from heat and light. Keep selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using selenium/urea/zinc pyrithione.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.