Generic Name: saline bacteriostatic (SAY-leen bac-teer-ee-o-STAT-ic)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Saline bacteriostatic is used for:
Mixing with certain medicines given by injection. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Saline bacteriostatic is a sterile solution used to mix and dilute other medicines.
Do NOT use saline bacteriostatic if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in saline bacteriostatic
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using saline bacteriostatic:
Some medical conditions may interact with saline bacteriostatic. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with saline bacteriostatic. However, no specific interactions with saline bacteriostatic are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if saline bacteriostatic may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use saline bacteriostatic:
Use saline bacteriostatic as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Saline bacteriostatic is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using saline bacteriostatic at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If saline bacteriostatic contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- If you are using this product to flush an intravenous (IV) line, use a sufficient amount of solution to fill the catheter.
- Contact your doctor if the catheter is blocked and you are unable to properly flush it with this product.
- Do not inject this product directly unless using it to flush an IV line.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of saline bacteriostatic, contact your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use saline bacteriostatic.
Important safety information:
- This product is to be mixed with certain medicines just prior to injection.
- This product cannot be mixed with all medicines. Use this product to mix only those medicines indicated by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use more of this product than recommended by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Use saline bacteriostatic with extreme caution in NEWBORNS. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
Possible side effects of saline bacteriostatic:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); redness or swelling at the injection site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of saline bacteriostatic:
Store saline bacteriostatic in a refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C), or at room temperature, between 59 to 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Keep saline bacteriostatic out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about saline bacteriostatic, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Saline bacteriostatic is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take saline bacteriostatic or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about saline bacteriostatic. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to saline bacteriostatic. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using saline bacteriostatic.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about sodium chloride
- Sodium chloride
- Sodium chloride nebulizer solution
- Sodium chloride solution
- Sodium chloride inhalation
- Sodium chloride (Advanced Reading)
- Sodium chloride Injection (Advanced Reading)