S-T Forte 2 liquid
Generic Name: chlorpheniramine/hydrocodone (KLOR-fen-IR-a-meen/HYE-droe-KOE-done)
Brand Name: Vituz
S-T Forte 2 liquid is used for:
Relieving cough and symptoms of the common cold or upper respiratory allergies. S-T Forte 2 liquid may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
S-T Forte 2 liquid is a narcotic antitussive (cough suppressant) and antihistamine combination. The antitussive works by suppressing the cough center in the brain. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine and reduces the symptoms of an allergic reaction such as itch, watery eyes, and runny nose.
Do NOT use S-T Forte 2 liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in S-T Forte 2 liquid
- you have narrow-angle glaucoma, severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, or if you are unable to urinate
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using S-T Forte 2 liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with S-T Forte 2 liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had an allergic reaction to any other codeine- or morphine-related medicine (eg, hydromorphone, oxycodone)
- if you have severe drowsiness, stomach pain, a recent head or brain injury, increased pressure in the head, brain lesions or a tumor, or epilepsy or seizures
- if you have asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), other lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sleep apnea, slow or irregular breathing), or chronic cough
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, Addison disease), heart problems (eg, cor pulmonale, slow or irregular heartbeat), blood vessel problems, glaucoma or increased pressure in the eyes, kidney or liver problems, low or high blood pressure, low blood volume, or thyroid problems
- if you have a history of stomach or bowel problems (eg, inflammation, pseudomembranous colitis); chronic constipation; a blockage of your stomach, bladder, or bowel; gallbladder problems; an enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems; or difficulty urinating
- if you drink alcohol, or you have a history of alcohol or substance abuse, mental or mood problems (eg, depression), or suicidal thoughts or behavior
- if you have had recent surgery or plan to have surgery
- if you are in poor health or are very overweight
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with S-T Forte 2 liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), perampanel, sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of S-T Forte 2 liquid's side effects
- Anticholinergics (eg, oxybutynin, scopolamine) because the risk of a serious bowel problem (paralytic ileus) may be increased
- Buprenorphine, naloxone, or naltrexone because they may decrease S-T Forte 2 liquid's effectiveness or withdrawal symptoms may occur in patients who have become physically dependent on opioids
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if S-T Forte 2 liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use S-T Forte 2 liquid:
Use S-T Forte 2 liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take S-T Forte 2 liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of S-T Forte 2 liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use S-T Forte 2 liquid.
Important safety information:
- S-T Forte 2 liquid may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use S-T Forte 2 liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using S-T Forte 2 liquid.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using S-T Forte 2 liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if you develop a high fever or persistent headache, check with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take S-T Forte 2 liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- The risk of severe breathing problems may be greater if you take S-T Forte 2 liquid in high doses. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- S-T Forte 2 liquid has cough suppressant and antihistamine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has cough suppressant and antihistamine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Use S-T Forte 2 liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially possible breathing problems and drowsiness.
- S-T Forte 2 liquid is not approved for use in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old. Children younger than 6 years old may be more sensitive to serious and even life-threatening breathing problems from S-T Forte 2 liquid.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using S-T Forte 2 liquid while you are pregnant. S-T Forte 2 liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking S-T Forte 2 liquid.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, S-T Forte 2 liquid may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if S-T Forte 2 liquid stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
Some people who use S-T Forte 2 liquid for a long time without a break may develop a physical need to continue taking it. This is known as physical DEPENDENCE. The early sign of addiction is medicine ineffectiveness. Dependence is not an issue in terminal illness where pain relief is more important.
If using S-T Forte 2 liquid for an extended period of time, do not suddenly stop taking S-T Forte 2 liquid without your doctor's approval. If you suddenly stop taking S-T Forte 2 liquid, you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms, including anxiety; diarrhea; fever; goose bumps and abnormal skin sensations; nausea and vomiting; pain; rigid muscles; runny nose or sneezing; seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there; shivering or tremors; sweating; trouble sleeping. Contact your doctor if you notice any of these symptoms after stopping this medication.
Possible side effects of S-T Forte 2 liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, throat, or nose; excitement; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; difficulty urinating; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, anxiety, fear, irritability); severe or persistent constipation or stomach pain; severe or persistent drowsiness; shallow or slow breathing; shortness of breath; tremor; vision changes; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of S-T Forte 2 liquid:
Store S-T Forte 2 liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep S-T Forte 2 liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about S-T Forte 2 liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- S-T Forte 2 liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take S-T Forte 2 liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about S-T Forte 2 liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to S-T Forte 2 liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using S-T Forte 2 liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.