Generic Name: chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine (klor-fen-IR-a-meen/fen-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Novahistine and Triaminic Cold/Allergy
Rondec Elixir is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, sinus pressure, runny nose, and sneezing due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Rondec Elixir is an antihistamine and decongestant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant promotes sinus and nasal drainage, relieving congestion and pressure.
Do NOT use Rondec Elixir if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Rondec Elixir
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Rondec Elixir:
Some medical conditions may interact with Rondec Elixir. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma; lung problems (eg, emphysema); adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your stomach, intestines, or bladder; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate; seizures; or an overactive thyroid
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Rondec Elixir. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase Rondec Elixir's risk of side effects
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because their risk of side effects may be increased by Rondec Elixir
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Rondec Elixir
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Rondec Elixir may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Rondec Elixir:
Use Rondec Elixir as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Rondec Elixir may be taken with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Rondec Elixir, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Rondec Elixir.
Important safety information:
- Rondec Elixir may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Rondec Elixir with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Rondec Elixir without checking with you doctor.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Rondec Elixir may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Rondec Elixir. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Rondec Elixir may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Rondec Elixir for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Rondec Elixir before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Rondec Elixir with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Rondec Elixir in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Rondec Elixir while you are pregnant. It is not known if Rondec Elixir is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Rondec Elixir, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Rondec Elixir:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Rondec Elixir:
Store Rondec Elixir at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Rondec Elixir out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Rondec Elixir, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Rondec Elixir is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Rondec Elixir or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Rondec Elixir. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Rondec Elixir. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Rondec Elixir.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.