Generic Name: glycopyrrolate (GLYE-koe-PIR-oh-late)
Brand Name: Robinul and Robinul Forte
Robinul Forte is used for:
Treating peptic ulcers in combination with other medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Robinul Forte is an anticholinergic. It works by blocking the activity of a certain substance (acetylcholine) in the body, which decreases stomach acid secretion.
Do NOT use Robinul Forte if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Robinul Forte
- you have glaucoma, urinary blockage (eg, inability to urinate), certain stomach or bowel problems (eg, stomach or bowel blockage, bowel paralysis, severe ulcerative colitis, toxic megacolon), myasthenia gravis, or heart problems caused by bleeding
- you are taking a solid oral doseform of potassium (eg, a tablet)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Robinul Forte:
Some medical conditions may interact with Robinul Forte. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have nerve problems (eg, autonomic neuropathy), prostate problems, trouble urinating, liver problems, kidney problems, increased pressure in the eyes, an overactive thyroid, or a family history of glaucoma
- if you have heart problems (eg, coronary heart disease, heart failure), a fast or irregular heartbeat, or high blood pressure
- if you have stomach or bowel problems (eg, ulcerative colitis), hiatal hernia along with reflux disease, constipation or diarrhea, or if you have an ileostomy or colostomy
- if you are in poor health
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Robinul Forte. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Solid oral potassium products (eg, tablets) because the risk of stomach or bowel irritation may be increased by Robinul Forte
- Anticholinergics (eg, benztropine), phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Robinul Forte's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Robinul Forte may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Robinul Forte:
Use Robinul Forte as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Robinul Forte by mouth with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of Robinul Forte, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Robinul Forte.
Important safety information:
- Robinul Forte may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Robinul Forte with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Robinul Forte; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Drinking fluids, maintaining good oral hygiene, and sucking on hard sugarless candy can help relieve dry mouth.
- Do not become overheated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur.
- Use Robinul Forte with extreme caution if you have a fever because heatstroke caused by decreased sweating may occur.
- Robinul Forte may make your eyes more sensitive to sunlight. It may help to wear sunglasses.
- Use Robinul Forte with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Robinul Forte in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Robinul Forte should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Robinul Forte while you are pregnant. It is not known if Robinul Forte is found in breast milk. Robinul Forte may decrease milk production. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Robinul Forte, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby, as well as any questions or concerns about this information.
Possible side effects of Robinul Forte:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bloated feeling; blurred vision; constipation; decreased sweating; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; dry skin; enlarged pupils; headache; loss of taste; nausea; nervousness; sleeplessness; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; confusion; decreased sexual ability; diarrhea; difficulty focusing the eyes; difficulty urinating; excitement; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness, light-headedness, or headache; shortness of breath; unusual weakness; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; difficulty breathing; enlarged pupils; excessive thirst; flushed, hot, dry skin; muscle weakness; nausea; paralysis; restlessness; seizures; severe dry mouth; unusual dizziness or drowsiness; vomiting.Proper storage of Robinul Forte:
Store Robinul Forte at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Robinul Forte out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Robinul Forte, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Robinul Forte is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Robinul Forte or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Robinul Forte. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Robinul Forte. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Robinul Forte.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Robinul Forte (glycopyrrolate)
- Other brands: Cuvposa