Generic Name: risperidone (ris-PER-i-done)
Brand Name: Risperdal Consta
Risperdal Consta is an antipsychotic. It may increase the risk of death when used to treat mental problems caused by dementia in elderly patients. Most of the deaths were linked to heart problems or infection. Risperdal Consta is not approved to treat mental problems caused by dementia.
Risperdal Consta is used for:
Treating schizophrenia. It may be used alone or with other medicine to treat bipolar disorder. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Risperdal Consta is an atypical antipsychotic. It works by affecting certain substances in the brain.
Do NOT use Risperdal Consta if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Risperdal Consta
- you are taking metoclopramide
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Risperdal Consta:
Some medical conditions may interact with Risperdal Consta. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of seizures, heart problems (eg, heart failure, slow or irregular heartbeat), abnormal electrocardiogram (ECG), heart attack, stroke, blood vessel problems, high or low blood pressure, high cholesterol or triglyceride levels, or low white blood cell levels
- if you have a history of kidney or liver problems, stomach or bowel problems (eg, narrowing, blockage), neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS), suicidal thoughts or attempts, or alcohol abuse or dependence
- if you have diabetes or are very overweight, or if a family member has had diabetes
- if you have Alzheimer disease, dementia, Parkinson disease, or esophagus problems (eg, trouble swallowing)
- if you have had high blood prolactin levels or a history of certain types of cancer (eg, breast, pancreas, pituitary, brain), or if you are at risk for breast cancer
- if you are dehydrated, have low blood volume, drink alcohol, or will be exposed to very high or very low temperatures
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Risperdal Consta. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Alpha-blockers (eg, doxazosin) or medicine for high blood pressure because the risk of low blood pressure and fainting may be increased
- Anticholinergics (eg, scopolamine) because the risk of overheating may be increased
- Tramadol because the risk of seizures may be increased
- Abiraterone, clozapine, metoclopramide, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine, paroxetine) because they may increase the risk of Risperdal Consta's side effects
- Carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, or rifampin because they may decrease Risperdal Consta's effectiveness
- Dopamine receptor agonists (eg, pramipexole) or levodopa because their effectiveness may be decreased by Risperdal Consta
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Risperdal Consta may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Risperdal Consta:
Use Risperdal Consta as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Risperdal Consta is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Be sure to keep all doctor appointments while using Risperdal Consta.
- Do not use Risperdal Consta if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Continue to use Risperdal Consta even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Risperdal Consta, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Risperdal Consta.
Important safety information:
- Risperdal Consta may cause drowsiness, dizziness, light-headedness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Risperdal Consta with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using Risperdal Consta.
- Check with your doctor before taking medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Risperdal Consta; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Risperdal Consta may cause dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Do not become overheated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur.
- Patients who have bipolar (manic-depressive) illness, or if their family members have had it, may be at increased risk for suicidal thoughts or actions. Watch patients who take Risperdal Consta closely. Contact the doctor at once if new, worsened, or sudden symptoms such as anxious, restless, or irritable behavior; depressed mood; panic attacks; or any unusual change in mood or behavior occur. Contact the doctor right away if any signs of suicidal thoughts or actions occur.
- Risperdal Consta may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- Diabetes patients - Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Risperdal Consta may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) is a possibly fatal syndrome that can be caused by Risperdal Consta. Symptoms may include fever; stiff muscles; confusion; abnormal thinking; fast or irregular heartbeat; and sweating. Contact your doctor at once if you have any of these symptoms.
- Some patients who take Risperdal Consta may develop muscle movements that they cannot control. This is more likely to happen in elderly patients, especially women. The chance that this will happen or that it will become permanent is greater in those who take Risperdal Consta in higher doses or for a long time. Muscle problems may also occur after short-term treatment with low doses. Tell your doctor at once if you have muscle problems with your arms; legs; or your tongue, face, mouth, or jaw (eg, tongue sticking out, puffing of cheeks, mouth puckering, chewing movements) while taking Risperdal Consta.
- Risperdal Consta may increase the amount of a certain hormone (prolactin) in your blood. Symptoms may include enlarged breasts, missed menstrual period, decreased sexual ability, or nipple discharge. Contact your doctor right away if you experience any of these symptoms.
- Risperdal Consta may rarely cause a prolonged, painful erection. This could happen even when you are not having sex. If this is not treated right away, it could lead to permanent sexual problems such as impotence. Contact your doctor right away if this happens.
- Lab tests, including fasting blood glucose and complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use Risperdal Consta. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Risperdal Consta may cause weight gain. Your weight may need to be monitored while you take Risperdal Consta.
- Use Risperdal Consta with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially dizziness upon standing or uncontrolled muscle movements.
- Risperdal Consta should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Contact your doctor if you become pregnant while taking Risperdal Consta or within 12 weeks after the last injection of Risperdal Consta. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Risperdal Consta while you are pregnant. Using Risperdal Consta during the third trimester may result in uncontrolled muscle movements or withdrawal symptoms in the newborn. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor. Risperdal Consta is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Risperdal Consta and for at least 12 weeks after the last injection of Risperdal Consta.
Possible side effects of Risperdal Consta:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Anxiety; appetite changes; back pain; blurred vision; constipation; cough; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; fatigue; headache; increased saliva production; indigestion; light-headedness; mild sore throat; nausea; pain, swelling, or redness at the injection site; restlessness; runny or stuffy nose; stomach pain or upset; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weight gain.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); abnormal thoughts; confusion; drooling; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; inability to control urination; increased sweating; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, aggression, depression, severe anxiety); one-sided weakness; seizures; severe dizziness; stiff or rigid muscles; suicidal thoughts or attempts; symptoms of high blood sugar (eg, increased thirst, hunger, urination; unusual weakness); tremor; trouble concentrating, speaking, or swallowing; trouble sitting still; trouble walking or standing; uncontrolled muscle movements (eg, arm or leg movements, twitching of the face or tongue, jerking or twisting); unusual bruising; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fast or irregular heartbeat; severe drowsiness or dizziness; unusual muscle movements.Proper storage of Risperdal Consta:
Risperdal Consta is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Risperdal Consta at home, store Risperdal Consta as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Risperdal Consta out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Risperdal Consta, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Risperdal Consta is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Risperdal Consta or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Risperdal Consta. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Risperdal Consta. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Risperdal Consta.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.