Generic Name: rasburicase (ras-BURE-i-kase)
Brand Name: Elitek
Rasburicase can cause a severe allergic reaction. If you develop new symptoms such as chest pain, trouble breathing, severe dizziness, a rash, or hives, stop using rasburicase and seek immediate medical attention. Do not restart rasburicase if a severe allergic reaction has occurred. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details.
Do not use rasburicase if you have a metabolic condition called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency because it can severely damage your red blood cells, leading to anemia (hemolysis). If you are of African or Mediterranean descent, you may be at higher risk for G6PD deficiency and should be tested to see if you have this condition before starting rasburicase.
Rasburicase can cause a condition that affects the ability of your red blood cells to carry oxygen (methemoglobinemia). Do not restart rasburicase if this effect occurs. Consult your doctor for more details.
Rasburicase can interfere with accurate measurements of uric acid in the blood, resulting in falsely low levels. Be sure to tell all lab personnel that you are using rasburicase.
Rasburicase is used for:
Preventing high blood levels of uric acid from occurring in patients with certain types of cancer (eg, leukemia, lymphoma, solid malignant tumors) who are receiving cancer chemotherapy treatment.
Rasburicase is a urate-oxidase enzyme. When chemotherapy is given, cancer cells are destroyed, releasing large amounts of uric acid into the blood. Rasburicase works by allowing uric acid to be more easily removed from the body by the kidneys.
Do NOT use rasburicase if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in rasburicase
- you have a history of blood problems such as methemoglobinemia (a bluish discoloration to the skin and mucous membranes) or hemolysis after receiving rasburicase
- you have a metabolic condition called G6PD deficiency
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using rasburicase:
Some medical conditions may interact with rasburicase. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney disease or are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with rasburicase. However, no specific interactions with rasburicase are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if rasburicase may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use rasburicase:
Use rasburicase as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Rasburicase is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Ask your doctor or pharmacist any questions that you may have about rasburicase.
- Do not shake rasburicase.
- Do not use rasburicase if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of rasburicase, contact your doctor immediately to establish a new dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use rasburicase.
Important safety information:
- Rasburicase may interfere with certain lab tests, including uric acid tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using rasburicase because they must follow special procedures to process your blood samples.
- Lab tests, including uric acid levels, may be performed while you use rasburicase. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use rasburicase with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using rasburicase while you are pregnant. It is not known if rasburicase is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking rasburicase.
Possible side effects of rasburicase:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; headache; mouth sores or ulcers; nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blue or gray skin color; chest pain; chills; coughing up blood; dark urine; fever; irregular heartbeat; numbness or tingling of the skin; persistent sore throat; severe dizziness; shortness of breath, trouble breathing, or wheezing; swelling of the hands or feet; weakness; yellowing of the eyes and skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of rasburicase:
Rasburicase is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using rasburicase at home, store rasburicase as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep rasburicase out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about rasburicase, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Rasburicase is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take rasburicase or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about rasburicase. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to rasburicase. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using rasburicase.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about rasburicase
- Other brands: Elitek