Generic Name: factor ix (human) complex (FAK-tor nine)
Brand Name: Examples include Bebulin VH and Profilnine SD
Profilnine SD is used for:
Controlling and preventing bleeding episodes in patients with hemophilia B.
Profilnine SD is a clotting factor. It works by correcting defects in patients who have deficiencies of certain clotting factors.
Do NOT use Profilnine SD if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Profilnine SD
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Profilnine SD:
Some medical conditions may interact with Profilnine SD. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of blood clots or are at risk for blood clots
- if you have a weak immune system, liver problems, or have recently had surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Profilnine SD. However, no specific interactions with Profilnine SD are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Profilnine SD may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Profilnine SD:
Use Profilnine SD as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Profilnine SD is given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- If you miss a dose of Profilnine SD, call your doctor to find out what to do.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Profilnine SD.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Profilnine SD before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- There is a risk of serious and sometimes fatal blood clots with use of Profilnine SD. There is also a risk for worsening bleeding problems. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Profilnine SD is made from human blood. There is a very rare risk of getting a viral disease or a central nervous system disease called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease from products with albumin. No cases of these problems have been found in patients who have used Profilnine SD.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Profilnine SD. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Profilnine SD with caution in NEWBORNS and the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially blood clots.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Profilnine SD while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Profilnine SD, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Profilnine SD:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); calf, leg, or arm pain, swelling, redness, or tenderness; chest pain; confusion; cough; coughing up blood; dizziness or light-headedness; drowsiness; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever or chills; joint pain; nausea or vomiting; new or worsening bleeding problems; one-sided weakness; runny nose; shortness of breath; sluggishness; vision or speech changes; wheezing; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Profilnine SD:
Profilnine SD is handled and stored by a health care provider. You will not store it at home. Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Profilnine SD, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Profilnine SD is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Profilnine SD or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Profilnine SD. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Profilnine SD. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Profilnine SD.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.