Generic Name: ampicillin (AM-pi-SIL-in)
Brand Name: Principen
Principen is used for:
Treating infections caused by certain types of bacteria.
Principen is a penicillin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria by interfering with formation of the bacteria's cell wall while it is growing. This weakens the cell wall and it ruptures, resulting in the death of the bacteria.
Do NOT use Principen if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Principen or to any other penicillin antibiotic (eg, amoxicillin)
- you are taking a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, doxycycline)
- you have mononucleosis ("mono")
- you have recently received or will be receiving live oral typhoid vaccine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Principen:
Some medical conditions may interact with Principen. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a stomach infection or diarrhea
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to a cephalosporin antibiotic (eg, cephalexin) or other beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, imipenem)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Principen. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because they may decrease Principen's effectiveness
- Probenecid because it may increase the risk of Principen's side effects
- Allopurinol because the risk of skin rash may be increased
- Anticoagulants (heparin, warfarin) or methotrexate because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Principen
- Aminoglycosides (eg, gentamicin), birth control pills, or live oral typhoid vaccine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Principen
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Principen may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Principen:
Use Principen as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Principen by mouth at least one-half hour before or 2 hours after eating.
- Take Principen with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Take Principen on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Taking Principen at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Principen for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Principen, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Principen.
Important safety information:
- Principen only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use Principen for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Principen may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- If vomiting or diarrhea occurs, you will need to take care not to become dehydrated. Contact your doctor for instructions.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Principen. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Diabetes patients - Principen may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including white blood cell counts and kidney function tests, may be performed while you use Principen. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Principen with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 10 years old who have diarrhea or an infection of the stomach or bowel.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Principen while you are pregnant. Principen is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Principen, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Principen:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Inflammation and redness of the tongue; irritation of mouth or throat; mild diarrhea; nausea; second infection; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; severe diarrhea; stomach pain/cramps; vaginal irritation or discharge .
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; nausea; seizures; vomiting.Proper storage of Principen:
Store Principen at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Principen out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Principen, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Principen is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Principen or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Principen. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Principen. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Principen.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.