Prenatal + DHA
Generic Name: prenatal multivitamin with minerals, iron, and folic acid (pree-NATE-al VYE-ta-mins)
Brand Name: Examples include Prenatal + DHA and Vitafol-OB + DHA
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or doctor at once.
Prenatal + DHA is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Prenatal + DHA is a vitamin and mineral combination. It provides vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements.
Do NOT use Prenatal + DHA if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Prenatal + DHA, including fish or fish oil
- you have hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism)
- you are taking acitretin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Prenatal + DHA:
Some medical conditions may interact with Prenatal + DHA. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), pernicious anemia or other blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria), bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), or peptic ulcer
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Prenatal + DHA. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by Prenatal + DHA
- Acitretin, cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate), or fluorouracil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Prenatal + DHA
- Cefdinir, bisphosphonates, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, methyldopa, mycophenolate, quinolone antibiotics (eg, levofloxacin), tetracycline antibiotics (eg, minocycline), or penicillamine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Prenatal + DHA
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Prenatal + DHA may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Prenatal + DHA:
Use Prenatal + DHA as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you should take Prenatal + DHA with food or on an empty stomach. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Prenatal + DHA by mouth with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take Prenatal + DHA.
- Avoid taking Prenatal + DHA with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Prenatal + DHA.
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, blood pressure, immune system suppression, osteoporosis, thyroid problems) should not be taken at the same time as Prenatal + DHA; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of Prenatal + DHA should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Prenatal + DHA, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Prenatal + DHA.
Important safety information:
- Prenatal + DHA may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Prenatal + DHA has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Prenatal + DHA is intended for use during pregnancy and breast-feeding. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Prenatal + DHA, check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of Prenatal + DHA:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or discolored stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; seizure; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of Prenatal + DHA:
Store Prenatal + DHA at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Prenatal + DHA out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Prenatal + DHA, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Prenatal + DHA is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Prenatal + DHA or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Prenatal + DHA. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Prenatal + DHA. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Prenatal + DHA.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about multivitamin, prenatal
- Prenatal multivitamin
- Prenatal multivitamin and minerals with iron, folic acid, and l-methylfolate caplets
- Prenatal multivitamin tablets
- Prenatal multivitamin with folic acid chewable tablets
- Prenatal multivitamin with minerals, iron, and folic acid
- More (24) »