Generic Name: pramoxine (pra-MOX-een)
Brand Name: Examples include PrameGel and Pramox
PrameGel gel is used for:
Temporarily relieving pain and itching caused by minor skin irritations, minor cuts and burns, sunburn, insect bites, scrapes, and rashes caused by poison ivy, oak, or sumac.
PrameGel gel is a topical anesthetic. It works by blocking pain signals from the nerve endings in the skin, which helps relieve discomfort.
Do NOT use PrameGel gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in PrameGel gel
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using PrameGel gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with PrameGel gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with PrameGel gel. Because little, if any, of PrameGel gel is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if PrameGel gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use PrameGel gel:
Use PrameGel gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash the affected area with soap and water, and gently pat dry.
- Apply PrameGel gel to the affected area as directed by your doctor or on the package labeling.
- Wash your hands immediately after using PrameGel gel, unless your hands are a part of the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of PrameGel gel, apply it as soon as possible. If you do not remember until the next day, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use PrameGel gel.
Important safety information:
- PrameGel gel is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days, if they become worse, or if they clear up and then come back, check with your doctor.
- Do not apply PrameGel gel over large areas of your body without first checking with your doctor.
- Do not use PrameGel gel in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using PrameGel gel while you are pregnant. It is not know if PrameGel gel is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use PrameGel gel, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of PrameGel gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); new or worsening skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. PrameGel gel may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of PrameGel gel:
Store in an upright position at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Keep PrameGel gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about PrameGel gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- PrameGel gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take PrameGel gel or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about PrameGel gel. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to PrameGel gel. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using PrameGel gel.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about PrameGel (pramoxine topical)
- Other brands: Proctofoam, Soothe-It Plus Hemmorhoidal Pad, Summers Eve Anti-Itch, Tronolane, More (15) »