Polycitra-K powder pack
Generic Name: potassium citrate/citric acid (poe-TAS-ee-um SIT-rate/SIT-rik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include Cytra-K and Polycitra-K
Polycitra-K powder pack is used for:
Preventing certain types of kidney stones. It also may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Polycitra-K powder pack is a urinary alkalinizing agent. It neutralizes some of the acid in your urine, which reduces the formation of crystals in your urine that could become kidney stones.
Do NOT use Polycitra-K powder pack if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Polycitra-K powder pack
- you have high potassium levels in the blood or a history of periods of weakness along with high potassium levels
- you have high aluminum levels in the blood, severe kidney problems, or you are unable to urinate
- you are dehydrated or have heat cramps, untreated Addison disease (an adrenal gland problem), or certain heart problems (heart failure or heart damage)
- you are taking a product that contains aluminum (eg, antacids)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Polycitra-K powder pack:
Some medical conditions may interact with Polycitra-K powder pack. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems (eg, heart failure), high blood pressure, adrenal gland problems, kidney problems, or diabetes
- if you have stomach or bowel problems (eg, ulcer, diarrhea) or a urinary tract infection
- if you have high blood acid levels; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; fluid buildup in the lungs; decreased urination; or trouble urinating
- if you have preeclampsia (high blood pressure during pregnancy)
- if you have low blood calcium levels, or you are on a sodium-restricted or potassium-restricted diet
- if you have a condition in which your skin is breaking down (eg, severe burns)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Polycitra-K powder pack. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aldosterone blockers (eg, eplerenone), aliskiren, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, triamterene), or potassium supplements because the risk of high potassium levels, possibly with irregular heartbeat or a heart attack, may be increased
- Products that contain aluminum (eg, antacids), digoxin, certain stimulants (eg, amphetamine), or sympathomimetics (eg, albuterol, pseudoephedrine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Polycitra-K powder pack
- Lithium or tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Polycitra-K powder pack
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Polycitra-K powder pack may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Polycitra-K powder pack:
Use Polycitra-K powder pack as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Polycitra-K powder pack may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Polycitra-K powder pack with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Take Polycitra-K powder pack by mouth after meals and at bedtime, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Be sure to dilute Polycitra-K powder pack in water or juice as directed on the packaging or by your doctor. Do not take Polycitra-K powder pack without mixing it.
- Shake well before each use.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Polycitra-K powder pack is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you take a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, doxycycline), do not take Polycitra-K powder pack within 2 hours before or after taking the tetracycline. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you miss a dose of Polycitra-K powder pack, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Polycitra-K powder pack.
Important safety information:
- Check with your doctor before you use a salt substitute or a product that has potassium in it.
- Lab tests, including blood potassium levels, other blood electrolyte levels (eg, sodium, calcium, bicarbonate), and kidney function, may be performed while you use Polycitra-K powder pack. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Polycitra-K powder pack should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Polycitra-K powder pack while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Polycitra-K powder pack, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Polycitra-K powder pack:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Polycitra-K powder pack. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; dizziness; irregular heartbeat; muscle cramps; numbness or tingling around the lips; numbness, tingling, pain, or weakness in the hands or feet; shortness of breath; unusual tiredness; unusual weakness or heaviness of the legs; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; fainting; irregular heartbeat; seizures; sluggishness; weakness.Proper storage of Polycitra-K powder pack:
Store Polycitra-K powder pack at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Polycitra-K powder pack out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Polycitra-K powder pack, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Polycitra-K powder pack is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Polycitra-K powder pack or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Polycitra-K powder pack. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Polycitra-K powder pack. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Polycitra-K powder pack.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.