Poly-Vi-Sol/ Iron drops
Generic Name: multivitamin with iron (muhl-tee-VYE-ta-min/EYE-urn)
Brand Name: Examples include MyKidz Iron and Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children and away from pets. In case of accidental ingestion, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
Poly-Vi-Sol/ Iron drops are used for:
Treating or preventing low levels of vitamins and iron in the body.
Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops are a vitamin and iron supplement. It works by providing extra vitamins and iron to the body when you do not get enough from your diet.
Do NOT use Poly-Vi-Sol/ Iron drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops
- you have certain iron metabolism problems (eg, hemosiderosis, hemochromatosis) or high levels of iron in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Poly-Vi-Sol/ Iron drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bowel problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), certain blood problems (eg, hemolytic anemia, porphyria, thalassemia), or peptic ulcers
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Acitretin because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops
- Doxycycline, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Poly-Vi-Sol/ Iron drops:
Use Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops may be taken by mouth directly or mixed with fruit juice, cereal, or other food.
- Use the dropper that comes with Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops to measure your dose. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Shake well before each use.
- Avoid taking Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops.
- Do not take an antacid within several hours before or after you take Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops.
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, blood pressure, low blood platelets, osteoporosis) should not be taken at the same time as Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you take Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops unless your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or take for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of taking Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you take Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Poly-Vi-Sol/ Iron drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or discolored stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry, or bloody stools; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry, or bloody stools; bloody vomit; fast heartbeat; paleness of the skin; seizures; severe diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; shallow, rapid breathing; sluggishness; unusual drowsiness; weakness.Proper storage of Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops:
Store Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in the original container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Poly-Vi-Sol/Iron drops.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about multivitamin with iron
- Cyanocobalamin/folic acid/iron/vitamin c
- Cyanocobalamin/vitamin c/folic acid/iron
- Ferrous fumarate/polysaccharide iron complex/folic acid/vitamin b complex/vitamin c/biotin
- Ferrous fumarate/vitamin c/vitamin b12
- Folic acid/iron/vitamin c
- More (13) »