Phenylephrine/ carbetapentane/ potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid
Generic Name: phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate (FEN-il-EF-rin/kar-bay-ta-PEN-tane/poe-TAS-ee-um GWYE-a-kol-SUL-foe-nate)
Brand Name: Carbatuss-CL
Phenylephrine/ carbetapentane/ potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid is used for:
Relieving congestion, cough, and throat and airway irritation due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid is a decongestant, cough suppressant, and expectorant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels, reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The expectorant works by loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest, which makes coughs more productive. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use phenylephrine/ carbetapentane/ potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid
- you have severe high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, or other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease)
- you take droxidopa or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using phenylephrine/ carbetapentane/ potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, heart problems (eg, fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat, heart disease), diabetes, high blood pressure, blood vessel problems, adrenal gland problems (eg, pheochromocytoma), mental or mood problems (eg, depression), trouble sleeping, an overactive thyroid, seizures, or stroke
- if you have a history of asthma or other breathing problems, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), sleep apnea, or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have ulcers, a blockage of your bladder, trouble urinating, an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems
- if you are in poor health or are very overweight
- if you take medicine for high blood pressure or depression
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, linezolid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid's side effects
- Bromocriptine because the risk of its side effects may be increased by phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, medicines for high blood pressure, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use phenylephrine/ carbetapentane/ potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid:
Use phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Drink plenty of water while taking phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid.
- If you miss a dose of phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid.
Important safety information:
- Phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take appetite suppressants while you are taking phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a decongestant, cough suppressant, and an expectorant in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days, if they get worse, or if they occur along with a fever, check with your doctor.
- Do not use phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure that your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excitability, low blood pressure, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid.
Possible side effects of phenylephrine/ carbetapentane/ potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; irritability; nausea; stomach upset; trouble sleeping.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; mental or mood changes (eg, anxiety, nervousness); paleness; persistent trouble sleeping; restlessness; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, headache, or lightheadedness; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; difficulty urinating; fast or shallow breathing; hallucinations; paleness; restlessness; seizures; severe dizziness, headache, or lightheadedness; severe drowsiness; tremor; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid:
Store phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using phenylephrine/carbetapentane/potassium guaiacolsulfonate liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about carbetapentane/phenylephrine/potassium guaiacolsulfonate
- Other brands: Carbatuss-CL