Perio Med rinse
Generic Name: stannous fluoride (STAN-us FLOOR-ide)
Brand Name: Examples include Gel-Kam and Perio Med
Perio Med rinse is used for:
Perio Med rinse is a fluoride rinse. It works by strengthening the teeth and decreasing the effects of acid and bacteria on the teeth.
Do NOT use Perio Med rinse if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Perio Med rinse
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Perio Med rinse:
Some medical conditions may interact with Perio Med rinse. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have joint pain or an ulcer
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Perio Med rinse. However, no specific interactions with Perio Med rinse are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Perio Med rinse may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Perio Med rinse:
Use Perio Med rinse as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use Perio Med rinse after brushing your teeth, as directed by your doctor.
- Perio Med rinse must be mixed with water before you use it. To mix Perio Med rinse, pour it to the 1/8 fluid oz mark in the measuring cup provided. Add water to the 1 fluid oz mark and mix.
- Use Perio Med rinse immediately after mixing.
- Place half of the mixture into the mouth. Swish well for 1 minute, then spit. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Do not swallow Perio Med rinse.
- Do not eat or drink for 30 minutes after using Perio Med rinse.
- If you miss a dose of Perio Med rinse, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Perio Med rinse.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or more often than prescribed without checking with your dentist.
- Perio Med rinse may cause staining of the teeth. Proper brushing may prevent this. The staining is not harmful or permanent, and can be removed by your dentist. Tell your dentist if you notice tooth staining.
- Be sure to show CHILDREN how to use Perio Med rinse in order to decrease the chance of swallowing it.
- Check with your doctor before you use Perio Med rinse in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Perio Med rinse while you are pregnant. It is not known if Perio Med rinse is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Perio Med rinse, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Perio Med rinse:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with Perio Med rinse. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Perio Med rinse:
Store Perio Med rinse at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze or expose to extreme heat. Keep tightly closed when not in use. Keep Perio Med rinse out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Perio Med rinse, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Perio Med rinse is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Perio Med rinse or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Perio Med rinse. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Perio Med rinse. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Perio Med rinse.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.