Generic Name: penicillin v potassium (PEN-i-SIL-in V poe-TAS-ee-um)
Brand Name: Examples include Penicillin-VK and Veetids
Penicillin-VK solution is used for:
Treating some types of infections caused by certain bacteria.
Penicillin-VK solution is a penicillin antibiotic. It works by interfering with the formation of the bacteria's cell wall while it is growing. This weakens the cell wall and kills the bacteria.
Do NOT use Penicillin-VK solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Penicillin-VK solution or to other penicillins
- you are taking a tetracycline antibiotic
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Penicillin-VK solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Penicillin-VK solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diarrhea or a stomach infection, especially in children 9 years old or younger
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Penicillin-VK solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Chloramphenicol, guar gum, or tetracyclines because they may decrease Penicillin-VK solution's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or methotrexate because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Penicillin-VK solution
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), oral contraceptives (birth control pills), or chloramphenicol because their effectiveness may be decreased by Penicillin-VK solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Penicillin-VK solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Penicillin-VK solution:
Use Penicillin-VK solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Penicillin-VK solution by mouth. Penicillin-VK solution is best absorbed when taken on an empty stomach (1 hour before or 2 hours after meals), but may be taken with food.
- Penicillin-VK solution works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Throw away any unused medicine after 14 days.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Penicillin-VK solution for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Do not miss any doses. If you miss a dose of Penicillin-VK solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Penicillin-VK solution.
Important safety information:
- Do not take Penicillin-VK solution if you have had a severe allergic reaction to a penicillin antibiotic (eg, amoxicillin, ampicillin) or a cephalosporin antibiotic (eg, cefaclor, cephalexin, cefuroxime, cefadroxil). A severe allergic reaction includes a severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, or dizziness. Ask your health care provider if you are unsure if you are allergic to Penicillin-VK solution.
- Long-term or repeated use of Penicillin-VK solution may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Diabetes patients - Penicillin-VK solution may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Penicillin-VK solution. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Penicillin-VK solution while you are pregnant. Penicillin-VK solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Penicillin-VK solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Penicillin-VK solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Black, hairy tongue; irritation of the mouth or throat; mild diarrhea; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools or urine; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; severe or persistent diarrhea; stomach pain or cramps; unusual bruising or bleeding; vaginal irritation or itching; worsening of skin lesions.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include diarrhea; nausea; or vomiting.Proper storage of Penicillin-VK solution:
Store Penicillin-VK solution in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after 14 days. Keep Penicillin-VK solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Penicillin-VK solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Penicillin-VK solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Penicillin-VK solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Penicillin-VK solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Penicillin-VK solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Penicillin-VK solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More Penicillin-VK solution resources
Compare Penicillin-VK solution with other medications
- Anthrax Prophylaxis
- Aspiration Pneumonia
- Bacterial Infection
- Clostridial Infection
- Congenital Syphilis
- Cutaneous Bacillus anthracis
- Deep Neck Infection
- Fusospirochetosis, Trench Mouth
- Joint Infection
- Lyme Disease, Arthritis
- Lyme Disease, Carditis
- Lyme Disease, Erythema Chronicum Migrans
- Lyme Disease, Neurologic
- Meningitis, Meningococcal
- Meningitis, Pneumococcal
- Otitis Media
- Prevention of Perinatal Group B Streptococcal Disease
- Rat-bite Fever
- Rheumatic Fever Prophylaxis
- Skin Infection
- Strep Throat
- Syphilis, Early
- Syphilis, Latent
- Tertiary Syphilis
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infection