Parafon Forte DSCPronunciation
Generic Name: chlorzoxazone (klor-ZOX-a-zone)
Brand Name: Parafon Forte DSC
Parafon Forte DSC is used for:
Treating discomfort caused by muscle spasms. It is used in combination with rest, physical therapy, and other measures.
Parafon Forte DSC is a skeletal muscle relaxant. Exactly how it works to relieve discomfort caused by muscle spasms is not known.
Do NOT use Parafon Forte DSC if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Parafon Forte DSC
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Parafon Forte DSC:
Some medical conditions may interact with Parafon Forte DSC. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver problems or a blood disease called porphyria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Parafon Forte DSC. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because the sedative effects of Parafon Forte DSC may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Parafon Forte DSC may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Parafon Forte DSC:
Use Parafon Forte DSC as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Parafon Forte DSC by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you miss a dose of Parafon Forte DSC, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Parafon Forte DSC.
Important safety information:
- Parafon Forte DSC may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or light-headedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Parafon Forte DSC with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using Parafon Forte DSC.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Parafon Forte DSC; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Parafon Forte DSC may discolor the urine orange to purple-red. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Serious and sometimes fatal liver problems have been rarely reported in patients using Parafon Forte DSC. Contact your doctor if you experience symptoms of liver problems (eg, loss of appetite; usual nausea, vomiting, or tiredness; stomach pain; dark urine; pale stools; yellowing of the skin or eyes).
- Use Parafon Forte DSC with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Parafon Forte DSC should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Parafon Forte DSC while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Parafon Forte DSC, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Parafon Forte DSC:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; general body discomfort; light-headedness; nausea; nervousness; over-stimulation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); black, tarry stools; bloody or coffee ground-like vomit; fever; symptoms of liver problems (eg, loss of appetite; unusual nausea, vomiting, or tiredness; stomach pain; dark urine; pale stools; yellowing of the skin or eyes); weight loss.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; difficulty breathing; headache; light-headedness; nausea; sluggishness; unusual drowsiness or dizziness; vomiting; weak muscles.Proper storage of Parafon Forte DSC:
Store Parafon Forte DSC at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Parafon Forte DSC out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Parafon Forte DSC, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Parafon Forte DSC is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Parafon Forte DSC or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Parafon Forte DSC. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Parafon Forte DSC. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Parafon Forte DSC.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More Parafon Forte DSC resources
- Parafon Forte DSC Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Parafon Forte DSC Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Parafon Forte DSC Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Parafon Forte DSC Monograph (AHFS DI)
- Chlorzoxazone Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Chlorzoxazone Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)