Generic Name: nystatin (nye-STA-tin)
Brand Name: Mycostatin
Nystatin Cream is used for:
Treatment of fungal infections, including jock itch, athlete's foot, and ringworm. It may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Nystatin Cream is an antifungal. It works by weakening cell membranes of the sensitive fungus. This allows the cell contents to leak out and results in death of the fungus.
Do NOT use Nystatin Cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nystatin Cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nystatin Cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Nystatin Cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nystatin Cream. However, no specific interactions with Nystatin Cream are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Nystatin Cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nystatin Cream:
Use Nystatin Cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly. Apply enough medicine to cover the affected area. Rub in gently.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Nystatin Cream, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Nystatin Cream works best if it is used at the same time every day.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Nystatin Cream for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Nystatin Cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nystatin Cream.
Important safety information:
- Nystatin Cream is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in your eyes, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Nystatin Cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Nystatin Cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Nystatin Cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Nystatin Cream may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Nystatin Cream:
Store Nystatin Cream at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Nystatin Cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nystatin Cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nystatin Cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Nystatin Cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Nystatin Cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Nystatin Cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Nystatin Cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.