Generic Name: polyethylene glycol/electrolytes (POL-ee-ETH-i-leen GLYE-kol/e-LECK-troe-lites)
Brand Name: Example include NuLYTELY and TriLyte
NuLYTELY solution is used for:
Cleaning out the bowel before surgery or other procedures. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
NuLYTELY solution is a bowel cleansing solution. It works by causing the colon to produce a watery stool and empty the bowel.
Do NOT use NuLYTELY solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in NuLYTELY solution
- you have certain stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage, retention, perforation, toxic inflammation, megacolon, ileus)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using NuLYTELY solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with NuLYTELY solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have swallowing problems (eg, history of aspiration or regurgitation) or your gag reflex does not function properly, or if you have a nasogastric (NG) tube
- if you have electrolyte problems (eg, low blood calcium, magnesium, potassium, or sodium levels), kidney problems, or a history of seizures
- if you have a history of irregular heartbeat (eg, prolonged QT interval), a recent heart attack, a certain type of chest pain (unstable angina), or other heart problems (eg, enlarged heart, heart failure)
- if you have a history of stomach or bowel problems (eg, inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis, severe constipation)
- if you are going through alcohol or benzodiazepine (eg, diazepam) withdrawal
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with NuLYTELY solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, lisinopril), angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) (eg, valsartan), diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, spironolactone), eplerenone, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline), or medicines that may harm the kidney (eg, aminoglycoside antibiotics [eg, gentamicin], amphotericin B, cyclosporine, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs [NSAIDs] [eg, ibuprofen], tacrolimus, vancomycin) because the risk of side effects, including abnormal blood electrolyte levels, seizures, or irregular heartbeat, may be increased. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines might harm the kidney
- Stimulant laxatives (eg, bisacodyl) because they may increase the risk of certain bowel problems (eg, colon inflammation or ulcers)
Ask your health care provider if NuLYTELY solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use NuLYTELY solution:
Use NuLYTELY solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- NuLYTELY solution comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get NuLYTELY solution refilled.
- Your doctor will tell you when to start using NuLYTELY solution. Do not eat any solid foods for at least 2 hours before beginning NuLYTELY solution. It is preferred that you do not eat for 3 to 4 hours before beginning NuLYTELY solution. Do not eat or drink anything colored purple or red.
- Drink only clear liquids and do not eat any solid foods from the time you start NuLYTELY solution until your procedure is complete.
- NuLYTELY solution must be mixed before you use it. Fill the container with the amount of water indicated on the package label. Use lukewarm water to mix NuLYTELY solution to help the medicine dissolve faster. Shake well.
- Use NuLYTELY solution within 48 hours after you mix it. Chilling NuLYTELY solution improves the taste. Do not chill NuLYTELY solution if the patient is an infant. Do not add sugar, sweetening agents, or other additives to NuLYTELY solution.
- Some of these products come with a Flavor Pack. If this product comes with a Flavor Pack and you wish to use it, add the contents of the Flavor Pack into the bottle before you add the water. Do not add any other flavorings. If you do not use the Flavor Pack, throw it away.
- Shake well before each use.
- Drink 8 ounces (240 mL) of NuLYTELY solution every 10 minutes until the stool is watery, clear, and free of all solid matter, or until the medicine is gone. At least 3 liters is usually required to produce the watery stool. It is best to drink all of NuLYTELY solution. Be sure to follow the instructions provided by your doctor. It is best to drink each portion quickly rather than sipping it. Rinsing your mouth with mouthwash after each glass of medicine may help get rid of the taste.
- If the patient is a child, a different dosing schedule may be recommended. Follow the instructions provided by your doctor.
- You will need to drink extra fluids (eg, water, clear soup, fruit juice without pulp, soft drinks, tea and/or coffee without milk) along with NuLYTELY solution. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Other medicines taken by mouth within 1 hour of taking NuLYTELY solution may not be absorbed or be effective. Contact your doctor or pharmacist with any concerns you might have about taking your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of NuLYTELY solution, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor. Notify your doctor right away if you are unable to finish taking NuLYTELY solution before your test.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use NuLYTELY solution.
Important safety information:
- The first bowel movement usually occurs about 1 hour after you begin drinking NuLYTELY solution.
- You may experience stomach swelling, bloating, or discomfort before your first bowel movement after you start using NuLYTELY solution. If you have severe stomach bloating or discomfort, it may help if you briefly stop drinking NuLYTELY solution or if you drink it more slowly. If these effects persist, contact your doctor.
- Do NOT take other laxatives while you are taking NuLYTELY solution.
- Your doctor may do blood tests after you take NuLYTELY solution to check your blood for changes from too much fluid loss. Tell your doctor if you have dizziness; headache; severe bloating; severe or persistent nausea, stomach cramping, or vomiting; trouble drinking clear liquid; or if you urinate less than usual after you take NuLYTELY solution.
- Use NuLYTELY solution with caution in patients who are not fully conscious; they may be at greater risk for vomiting and getting the medicine into the airway or lungs.
- Use NuLYTELY solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using NuLYTELY solution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially low blood sugar, low blood potassium levels, and dehydration. Monitor children carefully for symptoms of low blood sugar (eg, increased heartbeat, headache, chills, sweating, tremor, increased hunger, changes in vision, nervousness, weakness, dizziness, drowsiness, fainting). Tell the doctor right away if your child experiences any of these symptoms.
- NuLYTELY solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using NuLYTELY solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if NuLYTELY solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use NuLYTELY solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of NuLYTELY solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bloating; nausea; rectal irritation; stomach fullness or cramps; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; persistent or severe nausea and vomiting; rectal bleeding; severe stomach pain, swelling, or bloating; symptoms of blood electrolyte problems (eg, confusion; irregular heartbeat; mental or mood changes; muscle pain, weakness, or cramping; seizures); symptoms of dehydration (eg, decreased urination; dizziness; dry mouth or eyes; headache; sluggishness; weakness); vomiting of blood.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of NuLYTELY solution:
Before mixing, store NuLYTELY solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. After preparing the solution, store NuLYTELY solution in the refrigerator in a tightly closed container. Use within 48 hours. Discard any unused portion of NuLYTELY solution. Keep NuLYTELY solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about NuLYTELY solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- NuLYTELY solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take NuLYTELY solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about NuLYTELY solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to NuLYTELY solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using NuLYTELY solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about NuLYTELY (polyethylene glycol 3350 with electrolytes)
- NuLYTELY Cherry
- NuLYTELY Lemon Lime
- NuLYTELY Orange
- NuLYTELY with Flavor Packs
- Nulytely (Advanced Reading)