Neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine cream
Generic Name: neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine (NEE-oh-MYE-sin/POL-ee-MIX-in /pra-MOX-een)
Brand Name: Neosporin Plus
Neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine cream is used for:
Treating and preventing infection and relieving pain or discomfort due to minor cuts, scrapes, and burns.
Neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream is an antibiotic and anesthetic combination. It works by slowing the growth of, or killing, sensitive bacteria on the skin or in wounds.
Do NOT use neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have deep puncture wounds, animal bites, or serious burns
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream. Because little, if any, of neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine cream:
Use neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream is for external use only. Do not use in or near the eyes, nose, or mouth, or apply over large parts of the body.
- To prevent reinfection, wash your hands before and after using neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area. Apply a small amount of neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream (about the size of the tip of the finger) to the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- The treated area may be covered with bandages.
- If your doctor recommended that you use neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream for a certain period of time, it is important to use neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better within a few days.
- If you miss a dose of neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream.
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not get better within a few days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of neomycin/ polymyxin/ pramoxine cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning; itching; rash; stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); skin irritation not present before using neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream; worsening or recurrence of wound symptoms.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream:
Store neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using neomycin/polymyxin/pramoxine cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.